Quote Originally Posted by wolflance View Post
I see my question got drowned out in the discussion so I figure I should bump it a little...

In the mean time, I have several other questions:

1) What is the typical caliber and range of swivel gun during 16 and 17th century ? Both breechloading and muzzleloading variety.
2) Does swivel gun outrange heavy musket (the kind that requires musket rest) of the time?

and

3) If musket outrange swivel gun, did warships of the period employ musketeers to "snipe" at enemy swivel gunner, or simply shoot at one another? or simply equip something like "swivel musket"?
Galloglaich posted examples of some larger guns, but swivel guns or wall guns such as the "arquebus a croc" could go all the way down to musket size, in fact the earliest iteration of the "musket" was likely just a relatively small wall gun which someone decided to give to an infantryman along with a forked rest to help support the weight. The arquebus a crocs in Maximilian's army were supposedly bored to fire an 6-guage bullet, or 2.66 ounces.

https://imgur.com/a/HvmUM

In John Cruso's 1639 book The Art of War he includes the wagon-mounted arquebus a croc among the types of artillery, mentioning that it fired a 3 oz bullet with 2 oz of powder and could be fired 300 times per day or 25 times per hour.