Some good suggestions here. However, I'm quite old, and actually know many of the bands suggested (I do hope I don't come of as a pretentious pr*ck). What I'm after is quite melodic stuff, where the prog is not in how many rhythm changes you can put in one song. I'm more of a Magnum than Dream Theatre guy
Also, before anyone suggests Orphaned Land - know them, l

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
Do you listen to Opeth? You should be listening to Opeth. Though these days they're more a prog band with a hint of metal as opposed to the other way around (and I am okay with that).
I started listening to them when they were still more a death metal band. I think I've seen them twice live around Ghost Reveries. They're good, but they're not quite what I'm looking for now. The same goes for Enslaved.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
Speaking of, Porcupine Tree are pretty amazing for darker prog, but not really as hard, so I'm sure others will have some better suggestions.
That's a good suggestion. To bad I've already listened through their stuff. Seen them live as well. They were quite cool. To bad they dissolved. The Steve Wilson stuff is not as interesting in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
Sonata Arctica's Unia album?
I was disappointed when it came out, so I don't think that's the way to go for me

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
If you like Savatage, I think you'll probably like Morgana Lefay. More on the thrashy side, but the singer is a dead ringer for Jon Oliva's voice, and Grand Materia is just a fantastic album in any case.
Thank you, that was a great suggestion. They lack the keys of Savatage, but they're definitively what I'm looking for

Other recommendations include Leprous, a Norwegian band with a very distinctive staccato sound;
I know them, have followed them a but, but their prog is mostly in the rhythm, and I miss strong melodies

Haken[/url], a British band that might be compared favorably to early Dream Theater;
Thank you, that was a great suggestion

Pain of Salvation, who combine an ever-evolving sound with highly proficient performances and intensely personal themes, to great effect.
I tried them out, couldn't quite get into them

Or of course you could just pick any Ayreon album and look up all the singers on it, that ought to keep you busy
Most of them aren't really prog singers, like you have blind guardians Hansi there. Ayreon is great trough. If anyone know of more bands like that, I'd like to hear about them (style, not having a lot of guests. Avantasia does nothing for me)