1. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal thread IX: Metal To The Pedal To The Other Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Narmoth View Post
    Any good suggestions for metal bands with a hint of prog? I listen to Symphony X, Savatage, Queensryche (well, sometimes). Dream Theatre haven't been of interest for a long time. So nothing where it's only technical
    Oh hi, I can add some lesser known bands

There's Junius, apparently more post-metal than prog, but it fits. Helps that it's an amazing album all round anyway.

Also Need, a sort of Scenes From a Memory-type prog (from back when Dream Theater was still good )

Also Anneke van Giersbergen's side projects: Vuur, her solo project, and the collab with Arjen Lucassen The Gentle Storm. Both excellent.

Sunburst, prog-power, kinda like if Kamelot went prog (the guy sounds exactly like Tommy whatsisface).

There's Myrath, Tunisian prog with a Middle Eastern flavour. No real parallels to Orphaned Land except for the Middle-Eastern-ness.

Arcane is now sadly disbanded, but the couple of albums that they put out is amazing. Jim Grey has a heavenly voice. And speaking of which, his other band, Caligula's Horse, is just as good, albeit not really metal. Still definitely worth a listen though.

And then, possibly my favourite band in the world than no-one has ever heard of, is Shadow Gallery. Metal with a bit of a classical side, amazing musicianship and delicate vocals. Great band, but they're not really a touring band so they're a bit off everyone's radar.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2018-08-13 at 04:52 AM.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).