"Shen Yi was at one point a mastermind behind the criminal element of Soul Society. We were never able to catch him, much as it pains me to admit it.

Following Soul Society's crash into the Mortal Realm, we had lost a sizable piece of territory in Outer Rukon. Combined with the efforts of two of our officers in directly trying to assist with its security, this meant that he and his accomplices were running out of hidey-holes. I think it became clear to him at that point that it was only a matter of time before they were inevitably rooted out. So they came out en masse and requested the use of a Senkaimon in order to reach Earth.

At the time, I weighed the possible collateral damage to Rukon and Seireitei against his request. Officially speaking, they've all been banished. We've been keeping tabs remotely on their group, but as of right now, we honestly have no idea what they're up to.

As a former resident of the Royal Realm, I suspect his status is worth considering. Thing is, we had no way to confirm said status up until now, and we couldn't very well merely send for the answer. One of the issues our lack of communication brought up, I suppose.

I do not think he actually intends to return, whether to Soul Society or to the Royal Realm. But it was a matter worth reporting on, if nothing else."