View Single Post

Thread: Tiering the Spells

1. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Tiering the Spells

I don't think limited wish is in the same tier as wish. It's a very useful spell, but not nearly as game-breaking.

Top-tier spells are usually the open-ended ones, the ones that grant additional actions, and the ones that bypass checks entirely. That includes the likes of alter self, polymorph, draconic polymorph, polymorph any object, shapechange, planar binding, greater planar binding, gate, wish, miracle, magic jar, ice assassin, simulacrum, animate dead, dominate monster, astral projection, Mordenkainen's disjunction, body outside body, time stop, and mind blank.

Some spells aren't necessarily very powerful in a caster-versus-caster comparison, but they change the playing field relative to non-casters, like teleport, greater teleport, plane shift, control winds, greater invisibility, scrying, even Leomund's tiny hut (20' radius sphere of force, 2h/level duration, 3rd-level spell, yes please!).

Fusion + astral seed is t0 (TO).

I don't think it's useful to tier all spells of a given level. Better to pile all spells together and tier the lot. Yes, there won't be a lot of t1 cantrips, but that's okay. We know caster power is based on spell access.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2018-10-08 at 11:28 AM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.