Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
Those are fine, the problem is comparing the cost to the DC to the Reward.

Let's say I'm determining what information a player gets from a Medicine check. Skipping the part where it may or may not be an action, what's the DC? Does it scale with the enemy level? How much information do I divulge based off of what the player rolled? Do I just guess a random number if they guessed off? Do I tell them how sure they are? If I tell them they are sure, and they know the formula, does that mean they guessed the level of the target? Do I just include that in the information I provide? Or does the level of the target not matter? Just throwing some numbers out and hope it makes sense and is balanced compared to other features is something that can be done, but I'm looking for a bit stricter of an analysis. Something that has a somewhat fleshed out list of DCs-to-Rewards so that there's a little more of a frame of reference to use.

Because right now, if I made a DC 10-20 Medicine check, I can't help but append "-I guess" to any of my sentences.
I can understand those concerns. Let me try and add some more structure to this system.

Will you be using this as a player or as a DM, because if you're going to be playing it, I'll have to approach uncertainty differently (as you'll know when you're wrong by how much you rolled)...