1. - Top - End - #499
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Traditionally, the size of the Imperium is dictated by the range of the Astronomicon, in that once you go beyond the edge of the Milky Way you can't see it any more and thus can't navigate properly. So a radius of 50,000 light years, or 3.17+9AU, approximately.
    The exact radius varies from book to book (I've seen some sources say 70,000 light years) - but since Terra is not at the center of the galaxy, the limit on the Terran side of the galaxy - Segmentum Pacificus - should be less "can't see the Astronomicon" and more "there's hardly any stars or planets beyond the galactic rim anyway".

In order to cover the whole Ultima Segmentum section of the galaxy, all the way out to Macragge, the Astronomicon needs a range of nearly 70,000 light years- because Terra is on the order of 25,000 light years away from the galactic center, and Macragge is nearly 3 times as far away from Terra, as the galactic center is, on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    A typical Space Marine stands just over 2.1m tall (7'; Deathwatch RPG). However the key word there is 'typical', so individual variations of course, exist. I have read that Space Marines can be 8.5' tall. But that was ages ago and I'm pretty sure a source wasn't listed. Even Pasanius Lysane is distinctly massive, however, his exact height is never explicitly given...And if it is, I don't remember it. Howe

As Space Marines are in Armour, I believe 2.4m (8') is generally accepted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I *know* the difference between 'in' and 'out'.
    I checked the Deathwatch book (page 28) and can confirm that the "slightly over 2.1m" (7 ft) figure specifically says "in power armour" - so the increase to 8 ft isn't needed.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-10-16 at 04:58 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele