Pfft, forget the tailed beasts, be good enough with seals and you can summon actual freaking GODS to fight on your side. (For a price of course) As for konan, I agree, terribly underpowered considering her actual potential. I mean, a 10 minute long chain of exploding tags is awesome, but exploding tags are BASIC. Just think what else she could become had she included more seal work. Hirashin? Thats seal work, summoning jutsus? Rinnegan aside, thats seal work. Being able to counter and seal away things including amaterasu? SEAL WORK! ARRRGH paper girl was so underutilized. Just like pretty much everything female in the series too be honest. Yeah they might sometimes get a moment or two to shine, but bleh. As one example that never fails to get a laugh out of me, im spoilering it since I cant recall if our favorite lich has seen it yet,
Spoiler
Show
team 7 reunites! Sasuke is back! Sakura is done with staring at the backs of her team mates and she steps up to unleash physical destruction hell on the bad guys, terrifying naruto and clearly making an impression on sasuke. They summon their respective boss summons and then..... sakura stays behind to heal everyone instead of continuing to fight. /head desk. Look, I know that her healing ability combined with katsuyu is a huge deal for keeping the army alive, I do, but its like, "I dont have to look at your backs anymore! Now run off and save the world while I watch your backs some more!"
Its like the ladies get so close to being awesome only to have it taken away. You know what? Im going back to spoiler because there are two more parts in that scene that demonstrate my point.
Spoiler
Show
All the rookies are joining in to fight at this point. Its a big old "Hey, dont forget about us, we can kick butt too! You have kiba doing his three headed dog razor disc of death move, shino is creepy bug guy and interesting, then we have hinata who... punches a single monster several hundred times? Then she strikes a cool pose with the energy around her fists. Or we have team ten. "Ok guys, time for an ino shika cho combo attack!" Choji turns into a huge ball of death, shikamaru uses his shadow to fling choji around like a yoyo of death, and ino.... stands there and lets shika see shadow forms of everyone else? Da hek?
So yeah, female characters get short changed bad in this.