Quote Originally Posted by geppetto View Post
Dex can be even more fun. A 3 Dex is basically a toddler or falling down drunk, constantly tipping over. If he doesnt like it? Oh well. Tough. After a little bit of fun at his expense let him change it back to something reasonable. Remind him that handicaps dont really make you handicapable and he cant have his cake and eat it too. If that provokes a tantrum then tell him to grow up or bounce.

Or to be gentle you could just give a game example. I'm not sure about your system but in previous editions a 3 score has the same numeric penalty as being BLIND. So you can remind him that to be fair you will have to enforce penalties just as much of a hindrance to his character as being completely, permanently unable to see would be. And that should bring home the stupidity of what he's asking to do.

You cant accommodate min maxing idiots. They're just trying to pull off a scam that video games have taught them should work. You can train them to be good players, but only by enforcing the sort of realistic consequences that differentiate actual table top rpgs from video games.
That's OK - with my 18 int, I've invented featherweight padding and gyroscopic balancing systems to compensate for my bad Dex.

Enforcing realistic consequences cuts both ways. Better, IMO, to stick to RAW.