View Single Post

Thread: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

1. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

@Erys
    consider the example where the wizard casts the spell with the fighter (who has lower init) in the area.
    the fighter takes hist turn, and ends it's turn (which is still in the same round as the spell was cast) in the effect.
    As you can see, to quote "the pockets- by RAW- would only apply to that first round", isn't entirely a

A170: Sculpt spell says

Beginning at 2nd level, you can create pockets of relative safety within the effects of your Evocation Spells.

When you cast an Evocation spell that affects other creatures that you can see, you can choose a number of them equal to 1 + the spell’s level.

The chosen creatures automatically succeed on their Saving Throws against the spell, and they take no damage if they would normally take half damage on a successful save.

Syntacticly it doesn't makes sense to me that that blue part would effect the third sentence. And while I'm not native english (and thus my oppinion might very well be wrong), Interestingly , Sage advice notes

Evo. wiz casts Storm Sphere and uses Sculpt Spell on ally in effect. Ally succeed on future saves while remaining in sphere?
    -- Jun 12, 2017

Sculpt Spells is used the turn you cast a spell and is intended to affect only saves made that turn. But RAW, it works on all the saves
    -- Jeremy Crawford

We've got both confirmation what RAW says, and that RAW is wrong ...

Edit appendum: so interesting, spells that allow you to use an action for extra damage (akin* to call lighting), used in combination with action surge (ergo, creating the effect again, but during the same turn it was cast) would, by sage advice fall under the sculpting rule

*akin, as call lightning isn't evocation, and thus it doesn't
    Last edited by qube; 2018-12-30 at 04:23 PM.
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb