Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
The party monk managed to stunlock a beholder boss for like 5 rounds straight, enough time for the party to nuke his minions and then him. He never acted that combat. Made more humiliating because he was possessed by a Far Realms emotion being of Pride. They didn't let me live that down.
I had a game where the PCs were 1st level and had snuck into an underdark teleportation network to use one of the portals. They had been stealthily making their way past all sorts of powerful creatures, and I had the last creature on the way be a beholder, floating over a lake next to a bridge to their portal. My intent was that they would rush across before the beholder noticed them. Instead, one player cast Ghost Sound to distract the beholder so its magic negating eye was pointed away from the PCs, then another cast 'Command' and told the beholder to "Swim", and then the 3rd PC commanded it to "breathe".

Clever idea, I thought, but foolish to get the beholder's attention. Then, using the same hideous bright orange d20, I rolled a 1 for its save vs the command spell, then a 1 for its swim check to stay near the top of the lake, then 2 more 1's for its save vs. the next command spell and a drowning check, and finally another 1 on its final check against drowning. By the time I rolled the 5th 1 in a row, the players were half-crying with laughter at the poor creature, and I had to throw in the towel and announced that it wasn't coming up out of the lake, having been defeated by a 0-level spell and 2 1st level spells.

From that point on, that dice was known in our group as the "Beholder d20" and the PCs passed it to me to use any time I had to make a critical dice roll :P