Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
Doc puts his revolver away. "I take it by your expression, this mimic critter isn't yours?" he asked. "It seems harmless at the moment, but we're just as wordless as you are." He takes a glass of water and sips it, then nods in appreciation for it.
"No, of course it is. What did you do to stir it?" Bullion replied tonelessly, shutting the door behind her with a rear leg, causing the room to feel that much smaller, "It is one of the defenders of the vaults of our faith. Due to some defect, it is entirely unaggressive and dull, but much like a mentally handicapped animal it is ultimately harmless and must be sequestered from its fellows, as they would turn on it. If you had startled another here, I doubt you would be alive. They're pack animals, you must understand."

Caessania seemed quiet unimpressed by the clerk's answer, while Mirror seemed like she had now mostly gotten over her disgust and was looking at it like she regretted not having a stick to poke at it or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
"Interesting...so, like, how do you live? Or people around your paygrade, position, stuff like that? I'm guessing it's not the same kind of life that these ponies have, but it can't just be the richest reaping the benefits, right?" Viridia asked, with a glance over at the speaker. Some music would make it a lot more tolerable. River being nervous is...interesting? Not that she expects anything to suddenly come down through the ceiling, but there were enough Pegasi to support the elevator if it were to fall.

Probably.
The guard answered after the first few initial creaks and groans of the elevator's ascent; he looked pleased.

"Well, there's barracks throughout the city that most of my guys stay in, but most of them have family and friends inside the main city, and I live on the forth floor of one of the towers." he said, grinning slightly, "It's good for what it is, it's warm in the winter and cool in the summer, free water and ice gets brought up weekly, and some ponies go around selling food door by door. It's just about what'd you'd expect from a place that's basically a wasteland town inside a building, but fewer problems than what you'd normally get from ponies living in a place like that. It's homey. I spend a lot of time here, though. There's some nice facilities up here for the guards that don't get used often by anyone else, like living spaces set aside for special visitors, and because my boss never spends much time here how those places get managed are usually up to me."

He looked like he consciously resisting the urge to wiggle his eyebrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
Heh, now that sounds familiar. Moonshadow said, chuckling slightly.
The guard looked surprised for a few moments and turned towards Moonshadow.

"Huh? Really?" he asked, sounding slightly confused. The period where someone normally would state the obvious answer for a group of pegasi passed along and died quite slowly and painfully; he didn't even double-check butt marks.