Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
I think we're looking at subtly different shadings of the genre-- you seem to be focused on the naval implications, whereas I'm thinking more "any sort of story where you'd find Errol Flynn." But a fair point. The second isn't really a strength of STaRS*, but the first is probably key. And not just a variety of places to go, but a variety of plots to get caught up in. Even if the core gameplay loop is similar, plotting sabotage to keep the Dirge Empire from resuming their conquest should feel pretty different from trying to make a living as a "trader" in the Free Cities, or from exploring the haunted jungles of the Swordmarch, or fighting in the Casac/Pastela civil war, or trying to spread the word of the Draconic Church beyond the shores where it was born, or...

*Although its environmental conflict rules do make challenges like "survive this storm at high seas" a lot more fun to run than many other systems.
My vote is swashbuckling. Anything from something akin to the Three Musketeers, Scarlet Pimpernel, Red Sonya (not the other one), Zorro, to Pirates of the Caribbean. Of those only one has boats as a mainstay.