View Single Post

Thread: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

1. - Top - End - #545
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    The reason that Chain doesn't use it much is because ONLY bladepact gets the extra attack feature, so by using that ability they would:
    a) lose their entire action
    b) reveal their invisible familiar

Since Rangers have an Extra attack baseline, and their familiars aren't invisible, that allows a unique coordinated-attack style playstyle that only the ranger has.
    Mmm, good point. I hadn't thought of that. Sounds fun.

Question. I think the Otherworldly Recover should be changed because it feels rather meh. Which would be better:

Spoiler: Otherworldly Recover(as is)
    Show

At 3rd level, the mysterious entity that you are beholden to grants you a boon to your spell casting. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than one third of your Ranger level (rounded down), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

or

Spoiler: Otherworldly Recovery(altered)
    Show

At 3rd level, the mysterious entity that you are beholden to grants you a boon to your spell casting. Whenever you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to one half of your Proficiency Bonus (rounded up).

or keep it as is but round up.

Another option could be the altered version but it's based on Wisdom modifier. I quite like this option. It'll be between 2 and 5 levels and would allow a player that wanted to focus on casting to prioritize Wisdom and become a pretty decent spellcaster.
    Last edited by RickAsWritten; 2019-04-23 at 05:33 PM.