Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
[SPOILER=Soulsworn feedback]
After the changes made based on previous feedback, I think this is overall in a pretty good place. A couple comments below.

• Earned Invocation: The spell level for invocations should be at least the minimum required level, to allow for upcasting (Warlocks automatically would upcast these).
  • Invoked Attack is wordier than it needs to be, though it's functions are fine. Maybe something like: "You can make a ranged spell attack against a target within 60 feet of you using your spell attack modifier for ranger spells. On a hit, the target takes force damage equal to 1d10 plus your Wisdom modifier and is pushed back 5 feet. Creatures you have struck with a melee weapon attack this turn do not impose disadvantage on your attack rolls with this ability. At 17th level, you can fire two beams instead of one when you use this ability."
  • Invoked Attack's clause about disadvantage feels pushed in to make melee viable; making distinct abilities at this tier for melee and for ranged Soulsworn (which you choose between similar to hunter ranger) would be more compelling.
  • The spellsworn prerequisite table seems to be redundant with the class description which says that only those invocations mentioned in the subclass description are permitted. Is the intent to allow invocations from additional sources according to that table?
Good points all around, thanks.

Point-by-point:
  • I'll add the upcast option.
  • Haha, so I copy-pasted the wording directly from the Sunsoul Monk, and then realized that the Ranger would already have the spellcasting basic descriptions. Meant to revise it but forgot.
  • Good idea. It was most definitely slapped-on. I'll have to think on that one.
  • Partly yes, but also because it's kinda confusing if skimmed or quickly read. You can only change an Invocation when you get a new one, as opposed to Warlocks which can change on any level-up. One would assume that when a Soulsworn gets 3rd level spells that they could use the Invocations that include 3rd level spells, but they have to wait until they gain a new Invocation. I added the chart to help with clarity. Also, to give the little bonus tidbit that Hunter's Mark works with the Hex-based Invocations.