Quote Originally Posted by torrmh View Post
I really enjoy the insight and knowledge in this thread, and I hope we can continue a civil discussion in here, as it is the most interesting thread by far for me right now

I built my current character (PHB+1 rule in effect) with the assumption that I would not be finding any stat enhancing items, thus I chose to dip Hexblade 1 on level 2. I then went for 4 straight Paladin levels, to Paladin 5/Hexblade 1.

Once I'd taken that Hexblade 1 level, the 2nd level was difficult to resist, and I chose to take it on my 7th lvl (Paladin 5/Hexblade 2), even though many say it is suboptimal to do so. Devil's Sight and Agonizing Blast were just too tempting (not having darkvision has been a huge liability up until now in our game), the +1 lvl 1 slot on a short rest is a nice bonus too.

(In a freak random roll, I obtained Gauntles of Ogre Power in the last session before I leveled to lvl 7 - If I'd known I'd be able to get my hands on those, I might never have taken that Hexblade dip at all, the main reason for doing so was to become SAD cha I guess).

Next level I will be taking Paladin 6 for sure, to get the aura.

After that, I was planning to go to Sorcerer 6 or 12, or to continue Paladin until IDS and possibly ASI at Paladin 12.

I took defence as my fighting style, and I already have PAM as a feat, and have taken an ASI+2 CHA. I guess I need Warcaster or RES con to be my next feat, depending on whether or not I want to use a glaive or continue with spear and shield. Oath is Vengeance, mainly due to the great spell list.

Any thoughts on this one guys? The decision on levels up until now (Paladin 5/Hex 2) has already been made, so not much point to discuss what I should have done earlier, hehe...

EDITS: Added some build relevant info
Wow, you've done almost exactly as I've thought of doing! Great minds..

For me, I'm torn on having 2 Paladin levels up front, to get smites in play, or to get a level of Hexblade to become Cha-SAD. But then, I'd want the 2nd HB level to upgrade EB to AB. Choices, choices..

If you go Pal 5, you should probably grab Pal 6 too. The Aura is awesome from what I hear.

I am told you'll really need Warcaster at some point. I guess it's either get that, don't cast while using a shield, or drop the shield when you cast. I'm still pondering this. I wonder if having a 2-handed weapon (glaive) also requires Warcaster?

Most folks here will advise you against the path that we are set upon, since it does delay ASI's and extra attack. But you already have an extra attack from PAM; and I like the versatility this build provides.

Which Sorcerer origin are you thinking?