1. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Turning the Hexblade "Patron" into modular powers

Edit:
    Rebuking Curse
    Must be at least level 9 to take this invocation.
    When you cast Eldritch Curse, you may select from the following additional options to apply to the target:
    When the target hits you with an attack, roll 1d6. On a 4+, the attack misses instead.
    This seems a bit much.

I could see "Use a Reaction to allow the Warlock a 1d20 roll with no modifiers. If your roll meets or exceeds the attacker's total, they miss."

This way, they couldn't easily negate a Natural 20.

@Segev
    Humm. Sorry.

Once again, not having my Books on hand when posting backfires on me!
    - Honestly, I don't recall where I read the Force Damage.

As far as Hex Armor and the Two new Curse Invocations, I think that would work.
    I might even be able to convince a Player to try this out in one of my games.....

Personally, I think that giving all Martial Weapons is really stepping a bit over the Gish. Makes this class a better choice then Eldritch Knight, in a lot of ways.
    Or being Paladin-lite with Thirsting Blade and Eldritch Smite combo.

Especially since the Bladelock is proficient in their Bonded Weapon, and can change it each time it is Summoned. (PHB - pg 107)
    *Poof* 1d10 Blunt! (Two handed Warhammer)
    *Poof* 1d12 Slashing! (Greataxe)

Edit
    Improved Pact Weapon Invocation gives:
    *Poof* 600' 1d8 Piercing! (Longbow)

Really, bonding with a Magical Weapon actually limits this Ability. (I mean a +3 Legendary Weapon with extra powers might be worth it, but that's all)

I still like Cynthaer's suggestion for Weapons by Patron at 1st level.

And I'd rather give a Shield over Medium Armor at 1st level. Giving both really outshines the other types of Warlock.

With your option: I see a lot of "Hexblade" (GoO for mind powers; Fiend for Fire; Archfey for Charm; Celestial for some healing; and Undying for Necromancer-lite) Warlocks going Variant Human with PAM - or either Dwarf or Elf with racial weapons - and just rocking over the majority of other Gish options.

Would most likely not even need to Multiclass.

Would having a few more options for the (original) Hexblade's Patron be helpful?

I've got one done, and am working on a second.

Keep the Crunch as done here, but adding Goal/Fluff options?

Spoiler: Hexblade changes
    Show

At 1st level gain the use of shields, and pick one of the Hexblade's Curse effects.
    Gain a second choice at 3rd level.
    Gain the last effect at 5th level.

Trade Shield spell for Ice Knife.

At 3rd level, pick a Pact: Chain, Blade, or Tome.

All other Abilities unchanged.

(Modified) Invocations

Rebuking Curse
    Must be at least level 9 to take this invocation.
    When you use Hexblade's Curse, you may select from the following additional options to apply to the target:

When the target hits you with an attack, as a Reaction, roll 1d20 with no modifiers. If you meet the attack's total, they miss.

When the target takes necrotic damage from any source, you heal half of that amount.

When the target makes an attack against you, you may make a melee or ranged weapon attack against the target as a reaction.

Dread Curse
    Must be at least level 15 to take this invocation.

When you use Hexblade's Curse, you may select from the following additional options to apply to the target:

The target is either Charmed and Frightened by you, and may make a Charisma save each round on their turn to end this effect.

You may Dash as a bonus action so long as your movement places you closer to the target than you started, or adjacent to him. You gain the movement capabilities of the Gaseous Form spell while moving, but retain your normal speed. To observers, you appear to move between blinks and when they're not looking.

If you have hit the target with a ranged attack since their last turn, they must make a Wisdom saving throw to be able to take any voluntary movement actions which end with them further away from you than they began their turn. This includes teleportation and other magical effects. Creatures immune to being Charmed are immune to this effect.

I'll do some Playtesting, and post the results.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-05-22 at 01:20 PM.