Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
Well, I was trying to keep Patron and Pact being noticeably different in my posts.

The original Hexblade was "curse a foe" with Pact Variants. And like you said didn't really make sense outside of Blade Pact.

With my "Curse Pact" available to all Patrons, I was trying to keep to the original "this is a Warlock thing" idea.
This way, the PC could have GoO's Thrall and Curse; but not Thrall, Curse (spell), and Blade/Tome/Chain.

But, if you're cool with anyone being able to get it as a spell, and Warlock Invocation giving additional options to it - go for it.
I'll be checking for your updates on that.

I figure it'll take at least a month to test the "Hexblade" changes that I made (above), and then at least another month to see if I can test the "Curse Pact" option.
I look forward to hearing how your tests go. I do suggest you write up the changes somewhat formally, so they can be evaluated as their own mechanics by those not engaged in the playtest. I'll probably make it easier for your playtesters to build, too.

Having a "Curse Pact" as a third-level thing in place of other Pacts is not something I'd considered, but seems to defeat the purpose of the Hexblade Patron in the first place: complementing and patching the flaws in the Pact of the Blade.

I am not in a position to engage playtesting, but my anticipation is that the spell may be useful to non-Bladelocks, but not as useful to them. The Invocation just won't be useful if the character isn't intending to go gish, and to go gish without going Pact of the Blade seems odd, as well. But the options remain. In short: I expect that most Bladelocks would take the new spell and the new Invocation, and few non-Bladelocks would, but it wouldn't be a "trap" option for the latter.