Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
Keeping in mind that this is meant to replace Hexblade as a patron, does this mean you find Eldritch Curse not to be overpowered, since Hex does it better?
Ehh... Hex has a clear mechanical advantage on a Warlock, who doesn't want to spend multiple slots in a single encounter, while I think Curse's lack of Concentration makes it stronger on a normal caster. I don't think it's balance is bad so much as it's unnecessary. If you want to keep it in, I think it might be more elegant as an invocation, something like "you can cast Hex without Concentration, but it ends when the first target dies."

I do agree that adding Shillelagh to the warlock list carries risks. Putting the ability to wield a decent melee weapon in an invocation delays it to level 2, though.
A one-handed 1d8 weapon is a decent melee weapon; the only real reason the expanded weapon options matter is... well, I was about to say "for the visual," but a Shillelagh-whip would be pretty sweet. Other than that, there's no real mechanical advantage. I'd be inclined to fold the cantrip into the invocation, something like:

Eldritch Armament
You learn the the Shillelagh cantrip. When you cast it, you may target any weapon that lacks the two-handed property with it. If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, you may target any pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon's type.
(I'm inclined to say keep the bonus action, for what it's worth-- even as an Invocation I think casting-stat-to-attack is a little strong).