View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #1172 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1172 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Crookwise View Post
    On the issue of self-driving cars, I think we need to work on "cars with a third-person camera" before we even broach the subject of vehicular intelligence. I can avoid what I can see, and it's not fair to compare me to a car/system that has a spherical frame of reference, if I can't see all the same things it can.

Doesn't you car come with mirrors that allow you to see to your sides and back?

Also, the large, large majority of accidents are not caused by blind spot collisions, but by human error when the information was available, but was not properly consumed (whether because of overconfidence {"I can make this red light"}, tiredness, impairment from legal or illegal drugs or distractions such as phones). Unless you have a way to enforce 100% attention on the road on humans, the AI will have multiple advantages over you, not just its 360 degree vision. That's kinda the point.

Quote Originally Posted by diremage View Post
    Don't put words in my mouth about who I'm claiming to speak for.
    Then don't use "we" when you mean "me" unless you are royalty.

If there weren't people who disagreed with me, we wouldn't have self-driving cars running people over and killing their drivers and passengers right now.
    Irrelevant to the issue of voting security.

AI cars don't need to keep secret who tells them to do what, but they DO need to avoid getting hit with ransomware that tells the car's passengers, "Please deposit 3 bitcoins in the next 5 minutes or your car is going to drive you off a cliff. Thank you for your business!"
    And this has happened how often? Ah, yes, never.

But what has happened is non-AI cars being turned off in the middle of highways. So the problem here is not with the self-driven AI at all.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-07-30 at 12:55 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est