1. - Top - End - #1103
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VIII: insAIne in the mAInfrAIme

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    A better question is how he's going to have time to do anything with them. A ballpark estimation puts it into over a decade to put down all those pins - 100 million seconds is over three years by itself, and it's going to take longer than a second to put a pin in the correct location. And there are hundredS of million data points. I understand he's immortal, still a lot of time for a project.

Methinks the holographic pins are a much, MUCH better idea.
    Presumably, he is not going to personally attempt to investigate all hundreds of millions of data points. Instead, he'll devote whatever amount of time he feels is required per point, and an extra couple of seconds on putting a pin at either end of the process. Or, alternatively, he will centre in a specific subsection of space, and use the pins to devise patterns, groupings or other metastructures in a visual way, because it sometimes does pay to operate in non-virtual environments.

ETA: that is, if it wasn't a con, which it turns it was. But I stand by my general statement, as someone whose best work tends to happen at the pen-and-paper phase of the development.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-08-11 at 10:04 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est