Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
That makes some amount of sense, but if we're flipping the alignment of every major race, I'd rather flip the alignment of the cosmos, too. Makes the setting's flip seem more complete, less patchy.

I'd probably mix Paradise Lost with some of the horrors from Dante's Inferno, and maybe some stuff from a book we're not supposed to talk about and honestly even talking about Paradise Lost and Inferno has me a bit antsy about that rule since last I asked the official ruling was "No, seriously, it's zero-tolerance we swear". Something to emphasize that the people running the cosmos are jerks, and the "good" races are only Good in the sense that they serve those people.
I have problems with that one on philosophical grounds. One of the fundamental axioms of my worldview is that good is primary and evil secondary, that evil can only corrupt and not truly create. Trying to imagine a system where the fundamentals of the cosmos are corrupt... just doesn't cohere for me. Of course, it's not as though D&D cosmology makes much sense anyway.

Now, some ideas:

Kua-Toa: There are plenty of examples throughout history of those who are driven by zeal for God into absurdity, those who mutilate their flesh to purge their sins or an entire army of children and untrained workers marching out into the desert without plan or logistics to reclaim the holy land. In this setting, Kua-Toa are an entire species of such zealots. In the distant past, possibly due to ithillid experimentation, they received a racial vision of ultimate goodness... and it absolutely shattered their minds. The saner Good races tolerate them because they are genuinely devoted to the good gods, and because their zeal can be an incredible asset if channeled correctly, but their tendency to go off quarter-cocked at best means that they're only slightly less trouble than they are help.

Their reputation as "god-makers" comes from the fact that they are almost pathologically bad at theology, mangling and recombining the names, legends, and iconographies of all the Good gods they have ever heard of into unrecognizable mish-moshes. Attempting to guess which actual God is answering any given kua-toa's prayers is usually an exercise in futility.

Myconids: These are one of the great evils of the Underdark, using their spores to befuddle, enslave, or poison mortals, and launching constant assaults on the drow and other good denizens of the Underdark in the quest for fresh corpses to use as fodder, as breeding stock, and as reanimated servants. In the areas most under their sway, they will occasionally keep populations of living mortals in a perpetual haze of hallucinogenic spores, growing them as corpse-stock for future use.

They often make allies of convenience with dwarves, happy to give up the gold and silver mined by their spore slaves (for which they have no use), in exchange for corpses from the constant stock produced by dwarven cruelty. Their fear of fire and sunlight causes them to steer clear of elves.