Quote Originally Posted by Zhorn View Post
Reading through this, i'm not sure that it's actually simplifying anything.
Yes, you have cut it down into smaller numbers and don't need to convert scores into modifiers, but the extra steps added are a little less intuitive. That could just be coming from being comfortable with 5e and trying to move across this this system's line of thinking.
Ability scores (not mod) are 90% useless and waste time in genersting a character. The only use you get is to find your modifier and using strength. You can use the modifier to figure out encumberance or jumping.

Using point buy is troublesome and using an array... Just gets you a bunch of scores that you don't need.

Most people I've played with can't recall the prof bonus for their level and I've seen veteran players forget to boost their prof when the level up.

I've been playing D&D since 2e, ability scores are a golden cow that needa slaughtered. Even the official 5e character sheet has you put the mod in the big box and the scire in the small box.

Array and using the 1/2 number for non-prificent is so much faster and cuts all the fat.

I know a lot of people who prefer 3e and 4e ability score progression, disconnected with feats and how many you get, so I went that way with it due to fun.

Steps

* 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
* full mod = prof, half mod = non-prof.
* boost scores every 2 levels (3 at a time, +2 at 10).

Versus

* Array or point buy (both have multiple options)
* Figure out modifier
* check prof bonus, especially if you start higher than first few levels (keep checking as level up)
* boost scores by race
* boost scores, get a feat, or both

Simplified with the fat cut out.