View Single Post

Thread: PEACH: Weapons and Armor Revision

1. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: PEACH: Weapons and Armor Revision

So after much debating and thought offline, I think we're just about done here.

Lucerne Hammers will do 1d8+2. I was unhappy making a weapon have a damage die of +2, but it makes a beautiful average spread. Lucerne Hammers do 3-10, Poleaxes do 2-11, and Halberds do 1-12, all with an average of 6.5. Changing it to a d8 also works more nicely with the various feats that affect it.

Brigandine will remain unchanged, and here's why. After a lot of research on my part, turns out Brigandine was quite the variable suit of armor. It could be quite light, or it could be even heavier than a full maile hauberk apparently, clocking in at around 12 kg/26 lbs. Additionally, it could be extremely high quality and lovingly crafted by master armorers or bolted together from battle-worn fragments of plate in what is also known as a Coat of Plates. In this particular case, the brigandine I'm envisioning is more like a Coat of Plates than not, but I don't want to confuse the players with the wording. Therefore it will remain known as brigandine.

Half-plate will have its AC lowered by 1 to 16, but otherwise remain unchanged. If you think of it as "chainmail with plate reinforcement" then calling it a medium armor doesn't make sense. If you think of it as something more akin to "Breastplate, but more so" it makes a lot more sense. A good example of this would be the Almain rivet. Calling it half-plate is maddeningly imprecise, but calling it munition plate (which it technically is) would confuse players for no good reason.

Plate will have its AC lowered by 1 to 18. 19 is possibly too good, but for the record my highest AC player was the monk last game.

Still not entirely sure how I want to implement the buckler. Making it a +1 AC shield doesn't make it that attractive, but making it a +2 AC reaction for two-handed weapon users might be too strong. I will probably come back to this later.

Flail is now 1d8 and antiarmor. Morningstar is 1d6+1, antiarmor, reliable.

At long last, any final comments, questions, concerns before I wrap this project up?

Thank you so much for everyone that provided input on this weapon table! I feel like it came out a lot stronger with your help. Thanks once again!
    Last edited by NRSASD; 2019-09-02 at 02:38 PM.