Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
Spoiler
Show
...it's absurdly difficult for me to hold any kind of sympathy for Rose in how she treated Spinel.
Spoiler
Show
Just in case, I want to be clear I wasn't trying to inspire sympathy for Rose. I'm just trying to identify her patterns of behavior, and maybe guess at why they exist. Her treatment of Spinel is absolutely abominable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
Spoiler
Show
I don't think "Rose" would have done what Pink did, because Rose was at worst innocently selfish, but I think this is a better example of what Pink was like before learning the value of individuals--of what the Diamonds were like at their worst--than anything else.
Spoiler
Show
It's very close to what she did to Bismuth. An old friend, locked away somewhere, to be forgotten by all of gemkind. She avoids the emotionally difficult conversations that might help, finds a quick-"fix", and just forgets all about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
Spoiler
Show
Huh? Are you implying Steven saying to Spinel "You're our friend now, and we'll never leave you," would be a lie? The whole series Steven makes friends with gems who have literally tried to kill him. There's even a joke about it in the film. I don't see how Steven befriending Spinel would be dishonest or made to "manipulate
Spoiler
Show
I'll have to rewatch, but the short of it is I don't think he likes her very much. I think he tolerates her and genuinely wants to help her, but that's not the same as enjoying somebody's company.

I recognize that "Steven doesn't like somebody" is an unusual claim and requires significant evidence. I'll do my next viewing with an eye for that and a notepad to see if I can properly support it.