Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
The offenses are really powerful, but 138hp is going to make for a short fight. My party of 6 5th-level characters could bring it down in probably 2 rounds of combat.
That’s actually kind of intended; I expect this party to be 5 level 6 characters when they get to the Pits and I want “crawling around outside the web” to be a clever move that makes them feel badass when they bring this thing down, assuming they ever get to it (although I may put it into a random encounter in one of the bigger areas). That said, it’s actually not far off from its 3.5 incarnation, which had a CR of 12, and it has the same number of HD. This has more to do with the disparity between single big monsters and multiple small ones, I think. (Interestingly, its offensive CR is 9 and its defensive CR is 11, mainly for the demon resistances.)

All that said, I’m trying to find a way to better write its fiery venom trait; it should hurt demons, who are immune to poison, but as it stands it’s unclear if dwarves, say, would have advantage on the first saving throw or not. (I’d prefer they not, but if there’s a way they can get it on both, I’d prefer that over one and not the other.)