Quote Originally Posted by dmc91356 View Post
If we're delving into really old games for the Apple, I remember when I got Taipan! back in the very early '80's - anyone play that?
No, but the description sounds a heck of a lot like the original Tradewinds...and now I see that Tradewinds' self-describing paragraph mentions "Tai-Pan" as the highest title, so it's probably not a coincidence. (The Tradewinds series wouldn't really find and take off in its niche until Tradewinds Legends found its persistent comedic undertones...but I digress)

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
Seeing as we're talking old games...
There was a platform game we had on the computer (Apple II maybe) in primary school (late 80s-early 90s) where you had to collect gems from round a tomb. If you showed me a screenshot I'd recognise it straight away, but I never learnt the name of it; it was deleted when the teachers discovered when you quit the game it swore at you. I remember it having far better graphics than any other game of the time. Any ideas what it could've been?
I remember seeing something like that on the Apple II at the library in middle school...Montezuma's Revenge, maybe?
No, looking at the graphics for Apple II I'm remembering the wrong computer. We had a Apple II with text adventures (in one either I got killed by an eye stalk, or the game crashed, either was possible), it was the other better computer with the gem collecting game. The graphics would've been closer to Amiga era stuff?
Hmm. As I'm sure you can imagine, "finding gems in a tomb" isn't an uncommon concept, and platformers were pretty common at the time.

Given that most Atari ST games I know about were also ported to/from the Amiga....The closest I can think of are the mine level in Impossamole (which wasn't a tomb), Count Duckula (which didn't involve gems), and the Egyptian-themed levels in Time Bandit (one of my favorites, but which wasn't a platformer).