Subject: Erfman the Barbarian (Game thread)

"Lovely!" Exclaims Erfman.

"Now, did Dotti inform you about the Rand Conversions?" and he continues as a scout brings 3 deseeded fruits "If you are willing, the first use for your Juice would be in the conversion of fruits into Rands, as many as you are willing." He smiles affably.

”She mentioned one rand conversion...” Kelly replied with a thoughtful look. ”Since you have already paid for or will be paying for my juice in advance I see no reason that I couldn’t convert a full three rations to rands as long as you are providing the rations and that the rations you intend to pay me with will last more than a turn...” Kelly adds giving Erfman a long searching look.

"I'd join you myself, but I'm quite full already" he says patting his belly with a sheepish smile.

Kelly then concentrates as she creates her first of the rands before she tucks in to the provided fruit with a surprising amount of vigour.

Another two rands produced and another two fruit devoured later and Kelly is done and has a slightly satisfied look on her frail looking face.

"Okay!" exclaims Erfman while he claps his hands! "Onward to the tower! Come come!" He continues as he leads the way up the steps with Bob in tow.

Kelly goes somewhat paler (a difficult task considering her already very pale skin tone) at the mention of having to climb stairs but she struggles to her feet nonetheless and hobbles after the king.

Kelly’s pace is rather slow and is punctuated with stops to rest but the trio eventually reach their destination. As they reach the third floor Erfman speaks up. "Would you like to see the view from the top? It's not the tallest tower, but I find the view refreshing nonetheless!" Erfman declares.

Kelly gulps at the prospect of more stairs but gives a weak nod in response not wanting to say no to her employer before the job is complete.

At the top of the tower
"Aah, I love the wind in my face" Erfman declares pausing briefly.

While Erfman is busy enjoying the view Kelly drops to her knees and places her hands upon the stone floor at the top of the tower. Letting her juice flow out and in to the stone of the tower Kelly fills it with her remaining juice.

Tower: 140/200 Juice

"Okay, today charging the tower is all we need from you. But tomorrow we would perhaps benefit of castings in the field if you feel up to it." Erfman declares before pausing, "actually, did you see caster Cadaver down there? He currently has a contract with us for upkeep plus extra shmuckers per turn. I don't know if this is something you'd be interested in the future, but he and Dotti will be available to answer any questions you may have." Erfman finishes good-naturedly.

”I do not do field work...” Kelly replies in a weak voice looking down at the ground letting her long white hair pool around her face obscuring it from view. ”I am not suited for combat and I have had rather bad experiences each and every time that I have attempted to take part. I do not believe I was popped to fight.” Kelly reveals in a somber tone.

”I would not be opposed to a longer term contract but now that you know that I am useless as far as combat goes I’m sure you are no longer interested...” She declares glumly. ”Besides I am a croakamancer... I am sure you do not want your sides reputation tarnished by being associated with me...” she continues.

"Hah!" Erfman guffaws good-naturedly "Tarnished? Really? If that happens, that ship has sailed! Since we have Cadaver with us! But I haven't felt any prejudice at all so far from having Cadaver accompany me." he finishes more gently with a soft smile.

"How about this: We agreed with Cadaver on a 50 shmuckers plus 25 per level a turn for his wages, besides his upkeep that is. And he is willing and able to fight (I can honestly say the side would have fallen without his presence in the last battle, but instead it was a resounding victory!). There is always plenty of work around the Capital even without fighting: uncroaking bodies after skirmishes, and making preparations for the next battle. So, talk with Dotti, talk with Cadaver, and tomorrow come to see us and tell us what you think would be a fair wage for each turn you'd offer your services to us without fighting." he finishes brightly

"Shall we go back down?" Erfman gestures to the stairs smiling. Kelly merely nods her head silently in response and trudges after the king.

"Dotti is very easy to find, with her huge pink tent in the Hippie octant; Cadaver has been staying here, actually his room is in this floor through there" Erfman declares while walking down the stairs and gesturing to an intermediate door.

Reaching the portal room
"Cadaver, I mentioned your contract to Lady Ton; If she is curious, would you freely answer her questions?" Erfman then asks of the other croakamancer as soon as they reach the portal room.

”Of course Sire...” Cadaver rasps in response. ”That is of course if the nondisclosure contract that I am under will allow me to do so...” he adds with a thoughtful look.

Finally as she approaches the portal,
"Lady Ton, with our NDA and NAP in place, you are more than welcome to visit at any time. Just step through the portal and someone should be here to receive you." Erfman finishes affably.

”Thank you highness, but I would not want to be a burden...” Kelly replies weakly as she heads towards the portal.

Erfman’s units begin moving the prisoners one by one from their current confinement in the empty dwellings and in to the luggage. The prisoners try their best to resist but shackled as they are they are eventually dragged to where Erfman wants them to go. Inside The Luggage walls begins to shift and move as each prisoners is put inside and walled of. When the process is completed the space within the luggage seems to have been reduced by roughly a quarter.

Out in the garrison courtyard Stompy the Ogwe stomps about randomly swinging his club while Billie the wargoat remains in the stables resting.

Bowie and the Gobwins meanwhile settle down to guarding the remaining two prisoners in the dungeon.

”Kelly I don't think you have to worry about tarnishing our image " Erfman declares as he orders some uncroaked in to the room and points at them "Croakamancy is just another branch of magic. Just like Dollamancy or Dateamancy. As for not fighting I would still be willing to hire you on. Just having you make rands, charge the tower, and make scrolls would be worth it to us!" Erfman adds while giving Kelly a cheerful smile. "Why don't you return next turn and let me know what you would want as payment.” Erfman then suggests.

”I did not realise you already had uncroaked in your service...” Kelly replies slowly. ”And not many think the way that you do, not even in the magic kingdom...” she adds looking downcast.

”I will have conditions...” she eventually replies ”And I do not wish to be merely a juice pool on legs to be used by another caster... I wish to use my art!” she declares in a slightly stronger voice.

”I will give this much thought tonight and return with my conditions next turn...” She then offers. ”Cadaver will you visit me in the naughty corner tonight?” She then asks.

Cadaver looks surprised at the request and glances over at Erfman for guidance on how he should respond, while Erfman nods encouragingly at him

———————

"Dotti, I miscalculated. With the last load Scout Fert brought in we actually have plenty of fruits for the Luckamancer too. Would you kindly, and apologetically inquire with him to see if he still has his Juice and is still willing to come? If you succeed you may the make an NDA with Juice from the tower." Erfman declares once Kelly has left.

”I had planned on informing her in person that we could not hire her this turn so I have not yet broke the news to her...” Dotti replies. ”I will therefore write her a message to come to Fanon’s portal immediately” Dotti adds as she takes a seat and begins writing out a letter. Once done she then stands up and posts it through the portal.

”Her name is Lottie Rey and she is a level one novice Luckamancer” Dotti then informs while the group waits.

"AC! I was forgetting we owe you 100s. Here, today we have to spare. Do you have the gem with you?" Erfman declares while waiting.

”Yeah I’ve got it right here...” AC declares as he pulls the drained gem out of one of the pouches on his belt and quickly hands it over.

Dotti then heads through the portal and a short while later Erfman is greeted by yet another request for a non aggression pact. Once Erfman accepts Dotti steps back through the portal accompanied by a woman in a white dress with spots of different colours all over it.

"Welcome welcome!" says Erfman cheerfully to the new caster before turning to Dotti "Shall we all go up so you can pen that NDA?" Erfman then declares.

Dotti turns to face Erfman and raises an eyebrow. ”You wish for me to make another non-disclosure contract?” Dotti questions ”You still have not used the second one I made earlier or did you want to keep a spare one?” she adds.

"Oh! Then we can sign right here!" He says unfurling the scroll on the table.

”Oh that’s lucky...” Rey declares as she prances over and quickly signs the document barely spending anytime at glancing at what she was signing.

"Wonderful!" exclaims Erfman. "Here, you may take your base pay from here" he says as the sack with fruits is brought. "And the first use for your Juice today would be in converting further fruits into Rands, as many as you are willing" he continues. "Please, take your time, we'd join you, but we're all quite full already" he says amusingly while gesturing to the people around the room.

”Well that’s a bit boring but ok...” Rey replies as she dips her hand in to the bag without looking and pulls out the four juiciest fruit. Rey then sets to work creating rands as she one by one plucks more fruit out of the bag.

"What can you tell us of your discipline? (Note your secrets are protected by NDA as well) How can Luckamancy be used to the good of the side?" Erfman then asks as the caster begins eating.

”Luckamancy?” Rey replies between mouthfuls. ”Well it’s all to do do with chance...” she begins. ”Anything that has a degree of random chance to it can be manipulated by luckamancy. Luckamancy can be used to shift the odds to make something more or less likely to happen. It really doesn’t matter what, it could be the chance that one unit will hit another, the chance that a unit will spot a veiled unit or the chance a unit will make a save against poison... the action doesn’t matter as long as there is an element of chance to it...” Rey explains.

As Rey eats Erfman turns to the rest gathered in the Portal room
"Okaay! What a humongous success Dotti! 12 Rands to spend!" He bursts out gleefully
Sobering up, he continues "I think the priority is getting information on Fanfic, the Dark Side city and surrounding hexes" he pauses considering his options
"I guess our best bet is Lookamancy.. and Turnamamcy." He finishes turning to Grim

"Grim, how do you feel about using Turnamamcy on the Warlord?" he asks seriously, looking him in the eye "Does your duty compels you to say we should use it? Or do you think any information he may that you don't already know would be too outdated already to matter?" Erfman questions.

”He is a low level Warlord it is likely that the information that he would know is similar if not the same to the information that I know.” Grim replies. ”I would think the main advantage of turning him would be his use as a military assets rather than a source of information...” Grim adds.

Remembering the words of the Croakamancer Erman asks his audience "There is a detail that Kelly mentioned that is nagging me: Does food go bad? I've never seen food going bad in our larder, or before that"

”Everything decays...” Cadaver replies somewhat morbidly.

”Ahem, I believe what Cadaver means is that all food stuffs have a predetermined expiry date if you will. Go beyond that date and the food will depop” Dotti clarifies.

”Providing rations for living troops is one of the logistical problems that you must consider when planning a war” Grim adds. ”Taking enough rations to reduce the upkeep of your troops in the field but not too much as to risk wasting it due to dropping is a situation I have faced before...” Grim answers weighing in on the question.

A bit after that
"Friends," looking to each caster in turn "do you know if there is a market for +1 Weapons in the Magic Kingdom? (if yes Who buys them? And for how much in general?)" Erfman questions.

”MK barbarians ain’t usually the ones buying they do the selling, you might have some luck selling to other sides via the MK but you might ruffle a few feathers of the barbarian Dollamancers” AC replies. ”As for how much we’ll I guess that depends on how good a salesman you are... seen them go for anything from a couple of hundred shmuckers up to around a thousand....” AC adds.

Then, letting Rey take her time, Erfman nudges Dotti aside for a private chat
"Dotti would you help me understand? Simplifying, did you offer (and Roman accepted) 2 Rations for 100 Juice? And for Kelly and Rey, 3 Rations for 100 Juice?" Erfman questions.

”The offer you had me originally make was 3 fruit for 100 juice and 1 rand” Dotti replies. “As the cheapest way to produce rands is using rations that resulted in a net gain of 2 fruits for the employed caster. Of course Roman was the only caster that accepted such a deal while both Kelly and Rey required that their pay be increased by the sum of one fruit before they would accept.”Dotti explains.

And after a bit of time
"Dotti.. It occurs to me, I've been offering contracts left and right.. Is a long term contract guaranteeing shmuckers for Juice something that you would prefer, versus our current relationship?" Erfman asks.

”The security of a long term contract is always preferred however I have other contractual commitments that I would have to extract myself from before I could offer you exclusive service...” Dotti replies. ”I would also have my own conditions that I would require be met before I could sign a long term contract...” Dotti replies.

Rey, so you boost the odds of success for a given action. Is there any draw back? Like boost the odds of one unit hitting, but another takes a negative. One idea I have is we have a warlord we captured. Could you boost our odd of turning him when I go to talk with him? Erfman questions.

Rey goes quiet and gives Erfman a long searching look. ”Strange you should ask that...” Rey finally responds. ”A mathamancer once explained to me that the numbers must always balance... in order to increase one number you must decrease another. Some believe that increasing the chance of one action occurring reduces the chance of another occurring. Now personally I don’t know if that’s true... I have never personally had bad luckamancy as a result of boosting the luckamancy of an action” Rey replies.

"and you say 'chance', as in 'there is a possibility for success'? If say, turning the warlord by talking has a possibility for success, could you make that chance 100% (rolling a crit)? (If so, for how much Juice?)" Erfman then questions.

”Nothing is ever one hundred percent certain. I could boost the chance of a turning attempt being successful and while the more juice that I use the better the chance will be it will never be one hundred percent no matter how much juice I use...” Rey explains.

- XP is gained at the end of the battle
- Level ups occur at the beginning of a turn

"Okaay.." says Erfman while pondering, "I think we'll ask you to boost my chances of turning the warlord. Now, what's the minimum amount of Juice your spell takes? And do you have an idea of the effect of using double that Juice? Quadruple? (If you had to choose how much would you spend?)" Erfman questions.

”I have different ways of boosting a unit’s luckamancy... the cheapest way would cost me 25 juice but that spell would not benefit from any extra juice being invested. My next cheapest spell costs me 50 juice a casting. Doubling the juice cost of that spell would double the effect...” Rey replies. ”If you really want to succeed I’d invest as much juice as possible...” Rey then answers.

”Just out of curiosity... Are you skilled at Turnamancy?” Rey then questions. ”The base likelihood of an action being successful plays a big part in how likely it will be successful after your luckamancy has been boosted...” Rey explains.

"Well, we've convinced Grim here to join us in only two turns, and that with just the power of the spoken word." Erfman responds.

”I see...” Rey responds as she glances at Grim.

"Grim, do you know the warlord's name? What did you gather from your two conversations with him?” Erfman asks.

”His name is Strife, he seems more loyal to the Dark One personally than he does to the side... When I’ve talked about the units under his command he doesn’t seem to care about what will happen to them...” Grim answers. ”From what I know of him he loves to battle and he loves the action of croaking units” Grim adds. ”I also believe he was not popped in Fanfic but brought here from elsewhere... and from some of his responses I believe he used to work in the dungeons turning enemy prisoners...” Grim reveals.

”Dotti, to improve our chances we should first scout the terrain so to speak. Would you come down and observe as others interact with the Warlord, so to gleam part of his nature?" Erfman then requests.

”Certainly, I would be more than happy to share my insights with you” Dotti responds.

"Rey, I think that's it, please boost my next turn attempt with 50 Juice, and then lets go up so you can pour the rest into the tower, yes?" Erfman declares.

”Very good!” Rey declares with a smile as she follows after Erfman almost skipping up the stairs. She then channels 20 juice in to the tower saving the remaining 50 for her spell.

Tower 160 / 200 Juice

"Ah, that's an important detail I was forgetting: what is the timing, and targeting of the casting of you Luckamancy enhancing spells? Do you need to see the target to cast? Do you need to cast in tandem with the action being boosted?
Or could you cast now, benefiting from the tower boost?"
Erfman questions.

”The spell works best if I am able to observe the action being performed” Rey answers. ”I could cast now but the greater the time between the casting and the action the greater the risk that the spell could go astray and you could end up boosting the wrong action...” Rey explains.

(Later)

"Grim, when you came on turn 12 you brought
4 wavens,
8 Uncroaked Stabbers,
8 Uncroaked Pikers,
8 Uncroaked Archers,
1 Uncroaked Ogwe, 2 Mummies
Two turns later, on turn 14, Redshirt appeared with
2x 8 Wavens
2 Magenta Wavens
4x 8 Uncroaked Stabbers
2x 8 Uncroaked Pikers
2x 8 Uncroaked Archers
3x 8 Stabbers
2 Ogwes
4 Shock Troopers
5 Large Wavens, 5 Knights
4 Mummys, 4 Archers
2 Spooks
Do you remember how much of that army was already stationed at Fanfic, and how much must have come from other cities?"
Erfman questions.

”The majority of the forces that I brought were either stationed in Fanfic or the surrounding hexes before the attack” Grim replies. ”As for Redshirt’s forces I can’t say for certain as I had already been captured by then but I would imagine they were also mustered from Fanfic or the surrounding area” Grim begins. ”The living stabbers are likely what Fanfic was popping, the Wavens I know are flown in, whereas as the mummies I know were not in Fanfic when I left and I was never informed as to the movement of the Spooks.” Grim continues.

"I think we didn't remember to ask you: what do you know of the obelisks? (What is their purpose? Who built them? When?)" Erfman then questions.

”I don’t know too much of their origins but I know they are old... very old. They have likely lain dormant for thousand upon thousand of turns before the Dark One managed to activate them again.” Grim replies. ”Now they are conduits of his power. They allow him to be everywhere at once... to unleash the full extent of his powers even when he is not there...” Grim recites with some obvious awe in his voice.

"Also, where did all those uncroaked troops came from? Did you see the uncroaker?" Erfman asks.

”A lot of them came from the fall of old Fanon. The Dark One was here that turn. I hear he single handedly started a uncroaking cascade. The remnants of old Fanon were used to build the bones of the Dark Ones army in this area.” Grim replies. ”In his absence scrolls are sent to Fanfic to uncroak additional forces... Also the Spooks are capable of uncroaking” Grim adds.

"Ok, given what Grim told us of Strife lets test the hypothesis of him liking to turn prisoners" Erfman declares.

"First, lets isolate him. I'm ordering Chief and his gobwins to move the knight outside and keep guard on him." Erfman says while mentally commanding the Gobwins.

"Now, let's all go down and stand back, out of sight, but in hearing range, while Bob and Dotti go talk to him." Erfman adds.

"Bob, I suggest you say something similar to 'So, you're the big shot warlord that likes to turn prisoners? Hah! You'd never turn *me* if you had the chance!', sounds good everyone?" Erfman then instructs.

”I’ll do my best Sire” Bob replies as he stands to attention. The group including Rey then heads down to the dungeon level and are soon passed by Bowie and his Gobwins (both living and uncroaked) dragging the manacled form of a knight away.

While the majority of the group hang back out of sight Bob and Dotti head towards the cell where Warlord Strife is being kept with Bob taking the lead.

”So, you're the big shot warlord that likes to turn prisoners? Hah you don’t look like much! You'd never turn *me* if you had the chance!” Bob declares as he steps out of the darkness and in to the view of the prisoner.

Strife straightens his back and throws a glare in the Lancer’s direction before moving his arms pulling his manacles taught with a loud metallic clink. ”Oh you’d be surprised how convincing I can be. Why don’t you come a bit closer and I’ll show you...” the Warlord replies with a sinister looking smile.

After listening in from a distance Erfman, and thinking that sufficient to get a read on his supposed liking of turning, he silently orders Bob to threaten the prisoner, to test his supposed love for battle.

"Heh, I'm stronger than you, I would croak you with my bare hands if my King would allow me to" Bob threatens while doing his best to look intimidating.

”Hah that’s a laugh, a mere piker thinks he’s a match for me!” Strife retorted with a dismissive sneer. ”Why not come here and try... If by some miracle you actually won you could always tell your king I was trying to escape...” Strife suggests as he once again strains against his restraints.

Still listening in, and thinking that sufficient Erfman gives another mental order 'Threaten and retreat'

"Perhaps I will... Don't let me catch you sleeping.." Bob declares ominously.

”Hah you fear me so much that being chained down is not even enough, you must wait until I am asleep as well before you dare face me... Now I see why your side is so pathetic...” Strife retorts.

Leaving the cells behind everyone then retreats before gathering at the portal room. While Erfman and his group get there first Bob and Dotti arrive only a short while after.

"You did good Bob! Very convincing!" greets Erfman smiling with a slap on the shoulder.

”Thank you Sire but I must admit that he did not seem that intimidated by my threats” Bob replies with a slight frown.

"What did you get from that Dotti?" Erfman questions.

”I fear you need not be a Signamancer to be able to read this Strife. He is proud, stubborn and aggressive and very confident in his own abilities, I would say overly so...” Dotti replies. ”I believe you will find turning him to be a real challenge. I may not be a Predictamancer but I would not be at all surprised if he soon attempts to escape.” Dotti adds with a slight frown.

A look of concentration then spreads across Dotti’s face. ”If you are determined to turn him however I believe his key motivators are fear and power. His words centred on these two facets. It was important to him to establish himself as the more powerful unit and the one to be feared. If you are to gain his obedience you will likely need to prove that it is in fact you that are the more powerful though even then he may only obey out of fear. Offering to help him gain power himself would of course be another route you could take.” Dotti finishes.

- Heavy units may go to the area directly below the garrison (the part contained within the hexagon on the map)

Erfman silently gives a mental command for Strife's shackles to be attached to the ceiling of his cell. There is a brief clank of metal and a grunt of surprise that echoes through the empty dungeons before everything falls silent once again. Next Erfman orders an uncroaked knight down with instructions to bring a table from one of the empty rooms. The uncroaked stumbles down the stairs with a wooden table but eventually manages to drag it outside of the cells. Next a second uncroaked knight follows and lays out a number of items on the table. Unfortunately the items that Erfman is after can not be found so instead a shortsword, an axe, a spear head, a couple of arrows and splinters of wood are placed on the table. The uncroaked then shambled over to Strife and ties a piece of cloth to cover the warlord's eyes. There is a brief struggle but the uncrokaed eventually shambles away and stands guard outside of the cell.

"Friends, let's put on an Act. I think this Strife might have used torture to turn prisoners. And I assume units that employ such devices, fear having such methods applied to them. So we're going to have him believe he is to be tortured, while Dotti watches unseen, to evaluate this assumption" Erfman declares. "Is this Okay Dotti?" Erfman then questions.

"If this is the strategy you wish to employ I am willing to observe and offer my insights..." Dotti replies "However I must warn you that in order for such a strategy to be effective the act must be convincing else you will likely weaken your hand and make any future attempts that more difficult..." Dotti comments.

Erfman then silently orders the two stabbers Tex and Mex to report to the dungeons. "Stabbers Tex and Mex, attention!" Erfman then orders as the two stabbers come in to view. Both stabbers instantly stand ramrod straight as they stare at Erfman with expectation.

"We're putting on an Act to make the prisoner Warlord believe he is to be tortured. I need you to patrol the lower level of the Garrison, passing by the cell door three times, so he hears you. On the fourth time, I need you to pause at the cell door and chat. After a bit, mention 'you saw how the King was practising turning on the stabber prisoners?', 'Yeah, too bad he took it too far', 'Well, at least we gained a few new uncroaked out of it.' Can you do so?" Erfman then asks.

Tex and Mex glance uncertainly at each other before looking back at Erfman. "We'll do our best Sire..." Tex replies while fidgeting slightly on the spot.

"The prisoner should now be blindfolded after having witnessed random instruments (that could be used for torture) being placed in front of him. Dotti, please go spy on him. Tex, Mex, do your Duty well! And we'll see you all here afterwards" Erfman declares.

Tex and Mex then head in the direction of the cell and are immediately followed by Dotti. The sound of footsteps can be heard as the pair of stabbers walk back and fourth before they eventually come to a stop. "You err saw how the King was practising turning on the stabber prisoners?" one voice declares from somewhere in the darkness. "Yes it was too bad he went too far" a second very monotone voice replies. "Well err, at least we gained a few new uncroaked out of it." the first voice is heard saying.

There is a brief pause before a very loud exaggerated yawn can be heard coming from the cells.

"(Hm, I'm a Dollamancer, and Turnamancy is also Spookism. I should be able to actually learn proper turnamancy if I put my mind to it.)" Erfman mutters audibly while pondering. "And that should be even easier with a tutor." he continues in a louder voice.

"Okay, with the latest additions by Rey, we now have 14 rands that we can put to use." speaking to his audience. "Dotti, I think our main priorities for today are Lookamancy towards Fanfic, and Turnamancy of our prisoners. Do you know how much an Eyemancer that can Look would charge for his entire Juice pool for the day? We have at minimum 7 hexes to lightly Look (these in red), and 3 to Deep Look (in pink), but there is much more to Look if we have the resources." says he pointing towards the map.

"If not, would you find out for us? And also check on a price of a Turnamancer willing to tutor us, perhaps cast in tandem with us as we learn? We have 16 units to turn as of now." he finishes.

”I actually have a Lookamacer contact” Dotti replies with a smile. ”Her name is Bea and I believe she recently levelled up to level three” Dotti adds as she begins to rummage through her pockets before suddenly pulling out a piece of parchment. ”Here we go her price list!” she declares as she lays it on the table.

Mapping scan of 10 hexes - 3 rands or 450s
In-depth scan of 4 hexes (non concealed units identified) - 3 rands or 450s
Deep Look of 1 hex (include concealed units) - 3 rands or 450s

(range of scan depends on level of city tower the scan is performed at)
”I believe each listed item costs her 100 juice so she would be able to cast three if she has not already spent any of her juice this turn.” Dotti explains.

”As for a Turnamancer I have one in mind but he is a little expensive... I would have to go and negotiate with him in person...” Dotti adds.

"Rey, now that I really thought on it, it's way more reasonable to wait for a tutor before attempting to turn the Warlord. Given our NDA, my house is now your house" Erfman smiles affably "you are welcome to stick around, and look around, while we wait for Dotti, to then cast for us. But if you'd rather not wait, we won't begrudge you putting the rest of your juice in our tower and going home for the turn." Erfman continues.

”I’m in no hurry, you have already paid for all my juice so I’m happy to hang around...” Rey replies with a slight shrug of her shoulders.

"That is most useful Dotti!" Erfman happily exclaims. Then as he ponders the list Erfman cups his chin. "Hmm, I think when we do Look we'll have to devote 9 Rands for Bea, for three Deep Scans on the Obelisk, Fanfic and Farm (to get a more accurate estimate of number of Spooks and troops around), but that would leave you only 5 rands to negotiate with your Turnamancer contact for this turn."

"Instead, we'll leave Lookamancy for next turn and focus this turn on learning and turning prisoners.
So, given we wish for tutoring, we expect it to take more than one turn. Use that if you feel it is advantageous."
Erfman states with confidence in her skills.

"Would you pen one more NDA with Juice from the tower and then go negotiate with the Turnamancer for his services?" finishes Erfman.

”Of course” Dotti replies with a smile before hurrying off and using the last of her juice and some juice from the tower to create two new non disclosure contracts.

( Dotti 0/200 Juice, Tower 155/200 juice)

”Sire, if you could sign this in advance I will get the Turnamancer to sign it before sending them through the portal...” Dotti declares as she hands the contract over.

A short while later Erfman feels another request for a non aggression pact from a caster by the name of William Spinner.

Once Erfman accepts the pact the portal ripples as a caster steps through. A dark haired man in a black suit strides confidently forward before bowing deeply in Erfman’s direction. ”Your highness, I am Sir William Spinner it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance” he declares as he straightens back up. At the same time Dotti steps through the portal and steps to the side.

”The good Lady Dotti informs me you are looking for an education” William declares. ”How may I help you in this endeavour. What is it that you wish to learn?” William then questions.

"Thank you for coming Sir William" says Erfman quietly pleased with a curt nod.

”It’s a pleasure” William replies with a polite smile.

"I have managed to convince a Warlord to turn just through conversation before, but now that I have 14 infantry, 1 knight and another warlord in my dungeons, I'd like to learn how to apply Juice to the turning process." Erfman proceeds in a succinct manner

"Everything you say is protected by our NDA. Would you instruct us in the basic theory of Turnamancy, and help us learn at least one spell?" Erfman inquires

"I've heard casting in tandem is an effective way to learn a new spell, but we defer to your expertise on how to go about it." Erfman finishes in a pondered fashion.

”So you wish to learn the secrets of Turnamancy...” William begins. ”To expand one’s repertoire of skills is a worthy goal but if I were to teach you I would be depriving myself of a potential long term client...” William continues as he strokes his chin. ”I would of course still like to help you my friend but the loss of future earnings will have to be factored in to the price...” William adds.

”Now one of the best known abilities of a Turnamancer is the ability to turn prisoners and it is indeed one of the pillars of the art. I believe this is what you wish to learn yes?” William continues. ”For the knowledge of how to cast this spell I would charge you a mere 6 rands...” William begins before pausing. ”However time and juice are also money... each turn you require my consultation will cost a minimum of two rands and each time I am required to cast will cost an additional rand... “ William continues. ”Are these terms agreeable?” the Turnamancer then questions.

"So 6 Rands today for teaching, and in the future 3 Rands for casting, or 2 Rands for questions? That seems very reasonable." Erfman nods decisively.

”Yes of course quite reasonable, quite reasonable indeed!” William replies. ”But in order to avoid confusion I fear I must clarify... for six rands I will share with you the details of the spell... however if you require me to cast in order to help you learn the spell that will cost an additional 1 rand per casting. “ William explains. ”And If you require my assistance to learn the spell over future turns my consultancy will cost two rands plus 1 rand per spell I am required to cast to help you learn the spell...” William continues.

Erfman nods and replies "I wouldn't be too concerned about loss of revenue. Juice limit is the great equaliser, and I'll expect a master like you to always be more efficient and effective with the same Juice than a novice like I aim to be. So, whenever I am working on my Golems and have prisoners, you can expect to receive a call" Erfman smiles with the knowledge of doing and offering good business.

”You're too kind but I am not master of Turnamancy... well not yet at least...” William replies.

"Here" Erfman then declares as he transfers 6 Rands."and let us begin." he states.

”Well as you may be aware Turnamancy is all about movement but unlike Dollamancy it does not focus on the movement of mere objects, no Turnamancy can move the intangible such as motivations and loyalty. “ William begins.

"I am academically curious about Turnamancy senses; those that I shall never have, what do they reveal to of the world to a proper Turnamancer?" Erfman questions.

”Now that is a hard one... how do you describe to a man with no tongue what taste is like? How do you describe the colour blue to a man that can not see...” William continues.

"How hard is it to turn a unit such as a Warlord? (is it harder than an Infantry?) How many castings does it usually take you, an experienced Turnamancer, to break down such a unit's defenses?" Erfman asks.

”Well it all depends on the loyalty of a unit but to simplify matters as a general rule basic infantry are the easiest to turn, knight class units are more difficult and command units even more difficult still. The greatest challenge however is provided by certain casters, heirs and rulers” William explains. ”Now as for a Warlord as I have already stated it depends on their loyalty but on average it could take up to as many as four castings of the basic Turnamancy spell” William adds after some thought.

"I asked because we have Rey here," Erfman says gesturing to the Luckamancer "who is a Luckamancer that we hired to boost such a Turnamancy attempt, if it usually took more than one attempt, then Luckamancy use would be warranted" complements Erfman.

"Onward to the practical details? Would you detail the basic Turnamancy spell? (particularly its Juice cost)" Erfman asks.

”Of course, please let me explain...” William replies before going in to the details of the spell and explaining how it works.

Turn prisoner
Class: Turnamancy
Juice: 25
Range: close
Casting time: 5 rounds

On a successful turning attempt reduce units loyalty (to current side) by caster level x 10. When loyalty reaches 0 unit turns. (Prisoners may resist turning attempts and on an unsuccessful turning attempt loyalty remains unchanged. )
"I think, if you don't disagree, that our first practical lesson could be one by example. Would you show us how it's done, by casting on the warlord prisoner?"
Erfman then requests.

"Dotti here has analysed his Signamancy while he interacted with others and has inferred that he seems to be proud, stubborn and aggressive and overly confident in his own abilities. His key motivators seemed to be fear and power. So to gain his obedience I would likely need to prove that we are the more powerful one, or offer to increase his power." Erfman relays.

"I had thought to shock-and-awe him by manhandling him with my Golems, that obey to me alone, and offer him magical gear that I can produce if he would turn, but now that you are to have central stage, we defer to your expertise" Erfman finishes.

”Hmmm yes such mundane Turnamancy might have worked on some units however juice allows me to work a little differently... William replies.

"Here and Rey, would you boost Caster William's attempt?"
Erfman asks as he transfers another rand to William.

”Oh of course!” Rey replies happily as she prepares to cast at the most opportune time.

William then makes his way in to the cell, he doesn’t say anything but silently begins to circle the prisoner. Strife doesn’t say anything either but once again tests the strength of his restraints but his shackles hold firm.

After a couple of minutes of silent circling Strife begins to grow agitated and begins to fidget and struggle.

”What are you doing back there? That cowardly king sent you to stab me in the back rather than face me himself?” Strife growls. William does not respond but lingers behind Strife where the prisoner can’t quite see him. ”Answer me dammit!” Strife then barks. William however suddenly bursts in to action thrusting one arm forwards as he slams his palm on to the back of the prisoners head. Strife’s eyes go wide and slightly dazed looking before he begins to thrash about.

”Stubborn but by no means the most difficult challenge I have faced” William declares as a look of concentration spreads across his face. At the same time Rey from her position outside the cell completes her spell.

Strife’s head then slumps forwards and William pulls back his hand. ”I’ll be seeing you soon...” he then declares before calmly walking out of the cell.

”Demonstration complete...” William then declares as he brushes off his suit. ”I have made progress but the Warlord is not quite ready to turn just yet...” he then adds.

”Now that you have seen how it works, would you like to make an attempt of your own? Perhaps in tandem or on an easier unit?” William then questions.

"Huh, what a curious thing, by your explanation Caster William, the only random element to a turning attempt (that could in turn be boosted by Luckamancy) is in the resist attempt check. Hm" Erfman muses "I wonder if there is a critical success bonus.. Did it ever occur to encounter a prisoner that from your initial examination seemed like he should have high loyalty, and thus be a particularly difficult nut to crack, but then you succeeded in turning him at your first attempt?" Erfman asks with curious but serious eyes.

”I prefer to think of it as a result of one’s skill rather than a random act of chance but yes a turning attempt can fail or be resisted by the subject” William replies. ”Well of course Turnamancy is subject to critical successes just like anything else and unfortunately critical failures as well...” William adds.

"Also, Caster William, what would be a normal loyalty level for a unit? Are we looking at something in the 200 range or more like 50?" Erfman inquires curious.

”Well it of course can vary from unit to unit but if I were to pluck a number out of my head basic infantry on average often have a loyalty of around 50, Knights are often twice that and command units at least twice that again.” William replies.

"What if the spell was used on a barbarian? Have you had to do so in the past?" Erfman then asks.

”Ah yes barbarians an interesting question, an interesting question indeed. What people often don’t realise is barbarians have loyalty just like anyone else. A barbarian popped with a command unit often have loyalty to their commander equal to that of a side. A barbarian without a commander (and yes there are certain circumstances where that can occur) have loyalty only to themselves. They often have much lower loyalty values often less than half of a sided unit” William explains.

"Finally, when we learn this spell would our caster level even count? (since we are not even a novice in Turnamancy)" Erfman questions.

”A true Turnamancer counts as twice their actual level for this spell. A non Turnamancer I believe would expend twice the amount of juice and their level would not be doubled.” William answers.

”I will trust your judgement on how our Juice should be spent during our education Mr. William, but I was hoping to have Strife turned this turn. Is there any chance we can focus on that?” Erfman finishes

”Why of course I suggest we tandem cast or the Warlord and turn him together” William replies. ”As per my terms however that will cost you one rand per casting that I have to make” William adds.

"Of course, let's do this, I'll follow your lead" Erfman declares as he transfers a rand.

”Very good then follow me Sire” William declares as he leads Erfman back inside the cell and takes up a position behind the still dazed looking Strife.

William reaches out and takes a hold of one of Erfman’s hands with his left hand while he places his right on to the back of Strife’s head. ”Place your other hand on the back of the prisoners head and I shall attempt to guide you in how to use your juice...” William instructs.

Both casters begin to channel their juice and just as Erfman is getting a feel for what he is supposed to be doing he suddenly sneezes and his concentration is broken and the spell slips away.

”How unfortunate... a failure...” William declares. ”You must maintain your focus. Again?” he then questions.

(1 rand spent, Erfman 105/400 Juice)