Quote Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Well, now we've got a character who can create this pastry which, while not detailed in the RAW explicitly, presumably does have some value by virtue of its edibility and tastiness. However, he has no ranks in an applicable profession, and thus there's no way he could ever earn more than one silver piece/day by applying this ability. Unless we decide that any sort of logical consistency falls second to allowing this strange pastry savant, there has to be some reason that the ability to produce this pastry is no more marketable than the ability to carry crates around.

Does it take so much in ingredients that no one is willing to pay above cost? That's got to be pretty costly stuff. Better charge for it, and be sure to stock up.
Is it just not good? I just assumed that we were talking about something people would actually be happy to eat, I suppose.
Does it take a really huge amount of time to make? Considering the one silver a day in profits, it's going to have to take a sizable chunk out of your day to make.
Well, granting all you say, there's still two problems. First, the 'Game not Simulation' argument, but that's relatively weak. So, throwing even that aside...

It's no more logical that someone without ranks in profession(cook) can make a tasty pastry, than it is to say that someone with ranks in Profession(Cook), can cook anything equally well. So you either have to go down the road of sub-specialization (e.g., Profession(French Pastry Chef)), which quickly gets ridiculous, or admit it's an abstraction of the ability to cook professionally.

For a real-world example, I present my wife. She bakes wonderful pies. I mean really, good, easily the equal of what you get in a bakery, and so on.

However, I wouldn't expect her to be able to quit her day job and take up pie-making to earn her living. It's a different skill. So, even without 'ranks' in profession(Bake Yummy Pies), (i.e. she can't earn a living doing it) she can still render a delectable treat when inspired to do so.