1. - Top - End - #40

Default Re: Any mechanical changes for being a Huge character?

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Especially when you consider the penalty for a medium PC using a large weapon is "just" disadvantage, no weapon restrictions.
    ...Or a Small PC using a Large, heavy weapon... while blindfolded, poisoned, and restrained

Quote Originally Posted by Protolisk View Post
    Oof, I came into this thread missing the key component of "let's crowdsource some" if we were lacking in mechanics.

I will agree, Enlarge is pretty weak as-is. I think it is because it is conjoined to its twin, Reduce. Enlarge and Reduce have the same rules, in reverse. So instead of just removing a weapon's damage die, like a greataxe, from 1d12+STR to... just STR? And what would happen to a great sword? 1d6+STR, or also just STR? So they just removed 1d4 as a penalty. Small creatures like Goblins and Gnomes can use weapons just fine. If reduce didn't decrease damage, it would barely even be a debuff, but if it reduced so much damage for going from Medium -->Small, then why even have Small adventurers? So then Enlarge was written the other way: just add 1d4.

I would agree with the damage dice multiplying, but how would it affect shrinking as well? Because although Small is smaller than Normal, then there is Tiny. But as it stands with Reduce, a strong Gnome using a longsword as a "greatsword" doing 1d10+STR being weakened so much would be pretty sad.
    Or follow the AD&D approach and make Reduce make you much, much smaller than only half-sized. If Reduce shrank you to 10% of your normal height you could indeed justify setting any damage dice to d1.

Honestly, the fact that Medium to Small carries virtually no penalties other than "no heavy weapons" feels weird.
    Yeah, Small is a very strange size category which arguably should not exist. Instead we have a situation where Small creatures can squeeze into spaces sized for Tiny creatures (two and a half feet square on a side) at the cost of disadvantage on their attacks/various ability checks/etc., whereas Medium creatures can squeeze into spaces sized for Small creatures at the cost of disadvantage... but spaces designed for Small creatures are the same size as spaces designed for Medium creatures!
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2019-10-22 at 07:48 PM.