View Single Post

Thread: Critiquing the "Guy At The Gym" Fallacy

1. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Critiquing the "Guy At The Gym" Fallacy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Because it's a game?

Yes, fights that Hellboy fight are designed to be winnable by Hellboy. And games with Fighter should feature fights winnable by Fighter. I'm not convinced I see your point - are you saying that you, as GM, would toss Fighter into a fight he couldn't possibly win, then laugh uproarioushly at him for picking a class that cannot win such a fight?

Because then, at least, we have a genuine disagreement: I consider my job to be to entertain, and present manageable challenges.
    No, in a game with a fighter i will make sure there are enough challenges, problems and plot hooks for a fighter. But i won't change the setting in a way that the central conflicts and problems of the setting are something than can be solved with a sword.

So depending on what the setting exactly is, it is very likely that a fighter is not the most important person around or at least he is not important because of his fighting abilities.

Also i don't play D&D and won't actually have a Fighter. But i might have characters with strong melee skills. But considering that a significant number of adventures cebter around investigation or environmental hazards or politics or mysteries or exploration, "punching things" is not particularly often useful. And that is fine.
    Last edited by Satinavian; 2019-10-26 at 10:10 AM.