View Single Post

Thread: Critiquing the "Guy At The Gym" Fallacy

1. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Critiquing the "Guy At The Gym" Fallacy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    The divine avatar of all the magic can, but a fledgling apprentice can't. the "Wizard" can be one of them or something between.

Either the monster exists for the fighter to kill or it doesn't, if it exists, its a useful corpse to eat.

both of these things depend on the GM allowing them, there is no difference.
    Don't see a problem with any of that.

Except that i don't like DM fiat and the rules should give you those results instead.

I don't have any problems with martials (people fighing with weapons as main shtick) getting cool supernatural stuff. I do have a problem with that supernatural stuff being declared to be a completely normal and not at all supernatural or magic ability. You can't punch holes in reality just by punching harder. But if a fighter wants to learn teleport magic or aquire some innert teleporting ability from a monster by getting its teleporting organs crafted on. Or finds a ritual that lets him bind his soul to some other plane which allows him to take shortcuts through it giving him teleporting abilities ... all of that is fine.

But not teleporting via punching. Or teleporting via singing or teleporting via cooking or teleporting via needlework or ... teleporting via any other ability that has nothing to do with teleporting. And yes, that does include magic as well. There will be no teleporting via fireballing either.
    Last edited by Satinavian; 2019-10-27 at 03:24 AM.