View Single Post

Thread: Need a character background written up?

1. - Top - End - #586
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Need a character background written up?

Quote Originally Posted by Rbrookes1234 View Post
    Name: Cain
    Race: Half-orc
    Class: Redemption paladin
    Background: Soldier
    Rough idea: he and his human brother became soldiers together as a sibling rivalry, they were good soldiers but one day Cain got possessed by some supernatural entity, and went on a killing spree and his brother prayed to any god that could help him. and in the end lathender answered, say that the only way to save his brother is to become the host of the entity. he does this and asks his brother to kill him , in order to kill the entity for good, which he does and after that he goes on a journey of redemption
    This was kind of fun to write!
    The aspect of a Half-Orc... struggling against racism...
    And how in the end... despite his best efforts... he fails... but of no fault of his own...
    But the world will never know that!

I look forward to your thoughts or feedback!
    Enjoy!
    ===============================================

There is a notion that we’re bound to behave because of our bloodline; as if our past ancestry defines who were are and what we will become. No matter who – what race, what profession – everyone has the kindling of racism burning at the back of their mind.

As a Half-Orc, I spent most of my life dealing with those who always thought the worse of me.

My mother, a human woman by the name of Nallia Springrunner had been a part of a caravan that had been ambushed by the Red Eye Clan of Orcs and taken prisoner. My father, a peaceful nobleman, but a former warrior took up arms and organized a search party to find and rescue my mother, since her body was not among the dead who had been found near the ambushed caravan. It’d been two weeks, but he found her, freed her, and managed to kill the few remaining Red Eye Clan Orcs who had kept her prisoner. It was a few short months later that it became obvious that one of the Orcs had raped her and that she was with child.

My father asked if she had wanted a Cleric to come and purge the child growing within her, but my mother, being the loving person believed that, despite the circumstances and the father of the child growing inside her, that the infant in her was innocent and could be changed to be different than the father.

My human father agreed to raise and me and explained to my human brother, Bren Springrunner, that he would soon have a brother that he would need to watch after.

The choice to have me cost my family significant social standing, as they viewed my mother as tainted and would not want to invite them to social events where a half-orc might be present. Still, my family raised me to disregard the glares, sneers and comments others directed at me, and showed me compassion, love and caring.

My brother Bren always stepped in to defend me shouting, “We are brothers until the end!” But as I grew older, I wanted to be able to defend myself. My brother, already a Squire, had begun teaching me how to fight. My father, watching us, stepped in and continued our training, as he’d fought in several battles before settling down, marrying and fighting the political battles.

By the time I was eighteen, people of Ferndale began to accept me for who I was. Where I was, my brother was; and where my brother was, I was. We had become inseparable and people could feel the depth of our kindship, brotherhood and compassion. I was just beginning to change people’s minds about me when something tragic happened.

I had witnessed a man stealing from a woman; and gave chase, telling her I would recover her items. However, what I did not know was that it’d all been a part of an elaborate trap. I had been lured into that alleyway to step right into a Demon’s Sigil. Unable to step out of the Sigil’s Circle, three cultists, including the woman who had been “robbed” revealed their true selves and began casting a spell that trapped a servant of Orcus into my body. The Servant desired death for anyone and everyone I laid eyes on – with the idea that Orcus would capture their souls – and raise their bodies to serve his dark army.

The Servant latched onto my half blood – and ripped into my mind, tore apart my soul – and unleashed the murderous side that remains in check by any sane person – and I began a murdering spree. I killed nearly twenty people in the course of three days.

When my brother learned what had happened – and learned that it had been because of some demonic possession – he prayed to the gods for an answer – and it was Lathender who answered his prayer. “Your brother,” Bren heard in his dreams, “is possessed by a Servant of Orcus. I can help you put an end to the Servant – but I am attuned to Rebirth. Take the Demon unto yourself – and your brother, having broke free of the possession – must then kill you, for that is when the Servant will be at its weakest. Your brother will be reborn through your sacrifice.”

Bren found me and challenged me to a duel. What he did not know was the dagger I hid under my belt was etched in runes that would draw the demon out of him and into me as the wielder of the dagger. As we fought, it had been brutal and bloody. I knew his fighting style just as he’d known me – since he had trained me – and our father had trained us.

But when he plunged the dagger into my side – I felt it. Not the blade. Not the pain. The release. The demon had been pulled from me – but one thing became clear. I was not free of the memories of what I’d done – I could still see, feel, and hear the cries of those I had killed. That’s when my brother shouted for me to kill him – it was the only way to stop the Demon. If I delayed – it would grow in him and the murder spree would resume – I could not bring myself to kill my own brother – my brother who sacrificed himself by taking the demon into himself.

That’s when my brother threw his sword at me, just after I’d thrown my own down to the ground. I caught his sword – and before I realized what happened – my brother threw himself on his own blade as I held it. I felt the warmth of his blood as it ran down the blade and over the hilt. He touched my face and with his dying breath said, “We are brothers… to the end…”

I spent the rest of my days seeking redemption for what I’d done… I know it wasn’t me… but I could still see… hear… feel the screams of those I’d killed.

I begged the gods to forgive me… and one day, I felt a light fill my soul and purge the darkness away.

I looked up at the heavens and saw the clouds part and the moon seemed to be staring down at me…

The gods had heard my call…
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-11-09 at 01:11 AM.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)