Yeah on looking through the game guides its clear it wasnt final fantasy, now its going to bug me forever. I KNOW it was one of the older classic rpg console games, but now I have no clue which one it was! I must have just assumed it was final fantasy as that series was my jam. I played most of the other series and stand alone titles too as I was pretty much pure rpg gamer growing up, but those were the ones I tended to stick with. I just remember it was some rpg where the first dungeon or so (at least fairly early on) there was a boss where you basically had to turn him into a toad to weaken him, as I found out after dying repeatedly then giving in and reading a guide online. And as I tend to not focus on spell casting much (you never run out of sword swings, mana can be an issue) when I play, I had skipped those spells. Also, spells like that so rarely really mattered in the games, and being the genre savvy player I was, I "knew" that bosses tended to resist that stuff anyways. Yeah there are exceptions but in the main spells like toad sleep mini death etc, are pretty much pointless trash when you can just clobber the monster with a giant mace instead