Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
However, it is revealed quite powerfully and deliberately that Bond does not care about her and was only using her to get to her boss a couple scenes later. And from that you can take the message of the move that the former sex slaves only purpose is to be used and maneuvered about by powerful men. I don’t think that was the message the writers were shooting for. But that’s the story they ended up writing.
That's the case with most bad messages, though. People rarely intend to write them. They just think it, consciously or subconsciously, and so they put it in their writing.

C.S. Lewis is the only author I actually read (I know of a few, but would never read their books) who managed to put the messages: "feminism is bad" "vegetarians are bad" and "people who don't drink alcohol are bad" into one novel on purpose. All personified by one boy, who is intentionally unsympathetic, and promptly changes his ways as the story goes on. (Granted, his whining that Lucy gets a room for herself while he doesn't isn't feminist, but since his feminist mother is blamed for this attitude and Lewis consistently opposes feminism, I think hating on feminism was the purpose)

Except for the misogyny, though, those intentionally included messages are quite lost and easy to ignore, since it's a medieval themed world where everyone drinks alcohol and eats meat, and the topic is never brought up again.

Lewis obviously had no deeply ingrained hatred of teetotallers or vegetarians that could have subconsciously seeped into his writing. His attitude to women, on the other hand, could, and did, and as such is much more likely to either repulse or influence readers.

Protagonist centred morality may be done on purpose in some cartoons for children, but I don't think there are many serious writers who intentionally sit down and do it.