Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
I had fun giving this character a voice...
The only thing I didn't cover was the Owl... but leave the ending open enough so that it could have happened sometime after where this segment ends...
As always, I look forward to hearing your thoughts...
=================================

“No one ever found the answers they were looking for by being content where they were; because the answers are never in front of you; you must go out and find them. And that means leaving the safety of everything you know, and in your attempt to find the logic in something, you must do what is completely illogical.”

My teacher, a Tiefling Wizard by the name of Barian Taur used to say that all the time. “In order to find the logical answer you must do what is most illogical,” I paraphrased to myself. I never knew what any of that meant; and to be honest, simply thought it was the words of an aging, raving mad man. Barian Taur was not exactly an elderly man, by age, but if only half of the stories he told of what he had done and endured were true, then it was easy to see that perhaps portions of his sanity had been chipped away and low lay discarded in the pits of his soul.

My name is Thelo Bolseiro of the Ferndale.

As a Hafling, I am proud to come from my family bloodline – The Bolseiro generation of the Ferndale were extensively known for being a key part in driving back the goblin forces that emerged from the Greypeak Mountains, just east of Southwood. The Ferndale, located just south of Llorkh, was the home of my family for generations – and despite our diminutive size as Haflings – and not generally known for our fighting skills – we were able to keep the goblin forces from marching on Llorkh.

I come from a long generation of well renowned warriors. You might even think I was one.

Furthest from the truth. At a young age, I was curious about gain knowledge, learning about the lore of the world; and the many mysteries it held. Civilizations buried beneath the earth. Life, called the Underdark, somewhere deep in the ground with animals and plant life never even seen – or imaginable – on the surface world.

Though my father disapproved of my choice of chasing the Arcane Arts, my mother was more understanding (which only seemed to infuriate my father further, that she was still to nurturing and it was well passed the time I stop drinking from her breast – not that I was actually milking from my mother’s breast – it was my father’s way of saying “man up” as the humans often say).

I enjoyed life at the Arcane Arts, studying the ways of Divination – when one day, while I had been speaking with my instructor, Barian Taur, a shimmering portal opened next to him, and for the first time since I’d been in class he looked worried. He quickly ran to his desk, unlocked a drawer and threw a book at me, telling me to never read it or my mind would suffer – and to keep it hidden and away from others – and then, a large demonic hand pulled him into the shimmering portal where it closed immediately there after.

Now, here I am with this book in my possession that I am not supposed to read (and let me tell you, my desire for knowledge and lore is chewing away at me!). I’ve searched his entire study to see if there was any reference to this book – the cover had unique enough markings – but there was nothing to be found.

Then I realized; he’d been setting me up for this day. He was literally telling me, almost every day, that the answer was not at the school – that I’d need to do something “illogical” and leave the safety net behind and venture into the world to find out the answers to what this book is… and who… or what… took Barian Taur!
Thanks you for take your time doing this. I have read the background and I like it so much, I think that gonna enjoy the roleplay about this background and talk about the teacher ^.^