Quote Originally Posted by igordragonian View Post
So.
Necromancy- well, I feel fancy, cause I have heard Brandson's lecture about magic systems.
I think that the biggest issue with the Edo Tensei in cannon, not it's power.. the fact it is boring.
Also, if it is relativly easy to do so, I think every village would have done Edo Tensei.
Realisticly, conservative forces, never managed to stop advancment.
(It's funny to read letters from the 19th century about how trains will ruin society in britian, and you could ctrl c z the wordings and the logic it to manifests against the internet).
So, for one thing, the cost for such game breaking power must be high.
Also, I think if we dare and dissect sub issues then, you can build it as something more grounded. And here, I am openly say I will be mostly inspired from Shaman King, which is manga about Necromancy, and I think it's mostly done right.

So... unlimited chakra? How? Where does it come from? DBz androids has some engine, but chakra is life force. I will argue, that without additional jutsus, Edo Tensei zombies should have 0 chakra- it also means that meta chakra jutsus won' work on them.
But endless stamina is also an amazing thing.
https://youtu.be/wI1exNqKHD8
Where the chakra can come from? Well, the user? Scarfices? Still it will be limited, and you need to find a way to pass the chakra.
Maybe cathing bijuus is essential for such task.
And also.. how many?
100 kage level characters need to get their chakra from somewhere.

Also, their souls/ghosts. Who to say, that it's that easy to get them? Who to say, that the souls haven't passed to a new body?
In One Piece, for example, there is a guy who animate corpses, by putting in them the shadows(which In One Piece, seems to be part of the soul),
And they have the personality and skills of the shadow, but the physical abilities of the corpse.

So, it lead to intresting situations- like, one of the characters is Ok-ish swordman(Brooke), and his shadow stolen to animate legendary dragon cutting Samurai called Ryuma.
They fight, and have similiar style. (Brooke use rapier, but Ryuma has katana, so Brooke has a bit of edge on skill, but Ryuma overwhlem him with his physical abilities.
So, like.. imagine.. Madara died billion years ago, so his soul out of reach. But Itachi died recently, so Itachi in Madara's body.
I think such aproache make it more nuanced, and also complicated.
It also will feel less cheap. No 100 kage level zombies with infinite chakra. Much less, and with degrees of OPness.

Maybe there also religouse factor in the forbidness of necrojutsu- maybe it disturb the Cycle Of Reicarnation or something. As Side effect evil Yokais are created in the mortal realm and stuff like that.
you make a lot of good points. Edo Tensei is the biggest problem jutsu, I was just analyzing how. the good news is? Edo Tensei is a Tobirama invention. and in this setting we're making, Tobirama never became Hokage, so he simply wouldn't have had the time to develop it: someone else might've invented the jutsu or something like it without his special brand of genius and thus had to make do with the limitations you want.

however a few points: the point of Edo Tensei that the body is used to make this weird ash substance to imitate the original ninjas body at time of death. like, your just summoning the soul then putting in a body then that body is made into this weird ash that can't be destroyed, so that the person can use their abilities competently. I don't really like the one piece restriction of this body not matching the persons skills, its too much variables for even a crazy ninja to accept even doing, with too much potential for ending up with something that doesn't work.

I do agree that unlimited chakra is busted and shouldn't be included. needing a source of chakra would depower the jutsu by a bit and add a new weakness that makes it much more manageable, because the goal becomes either tiring out the user or destroying whatever source of chakra they're using (nature energy can't be used- it would just turn the zombie to stone).

I mean yeah, thats one of the canon reasons Edo Tensei is forbidden- it violates the cycle of reincarnation. thats what I mean by unnatural, it goes against some natural order that is implied to exist.

Life for life reicnartion works. Again, I believe we can add nuances. Maybe the revived have the memories of the one who sacrficed himself for him,and it might overwhelm him into schizophrenia?
Otherwise, I think any kage will raise bunch of zealot fangirls and boys willing to sacrafice themselves for their Senpai.
It's less critical here, I just think, life and death jutsus could use depth. In D&D 2e, Revive costed 5 years of the lifespan of the user, and made them older.
It's not amazing, but is also had made clerics think hard if they like their companions THAT much.
well the canonical jutsu requires your OWN LIFE to be sacrificed for another to life. if anything its a much higher cost than just five years. no matter what you do, your not really saving a life, your just trading one for another. sacrificing another persons life for a life is just another trade. and no amount of zealot fanboys will reverse the aging process even if you die and brought back a lot. such a kage would have to invest in anti-aging immortality jutsu anyways since I don't think such jutsu can be used to get back from old age, it would simply wouldn't make sense.

But I guess we can figure out some cost for someone brought back to get for living again if you want.

I think we can made much more with summonings gods and contacting them.but yeah, this is Forbidden Jutsu done right.
I still haven't figured out how Shinjutsu works for Iwa, so how summoning gods themselves works, I have even less idea because that would be in some way even more powerful than getting power from a god.

I agree with most.
About Nuke... I think, it would have been "Forbidden Jutsu" the same way nukes are forbidden jutsus for us.
It escalte things. You can expect that you will get the same treatment. Terrorist groups however won't hesitate, which is what make small rogue ninjas comparable to the villages- they have no regrads, and not much to lose.
Seems reasonable.

About unnatural, at least some of them, they just seems hard to master, I don't see anything "forbidden" about them.
well the idea is that a lot of it deals with creepy things like the dead, peoples minds, trying to be immortal and thus going against the natural mortal state of life, things like that. that and a lot of these jutsu is dangerous and both the multi-shadow and eight gates are considered forbidden just for causing physical harm to the user or requiring so much chakra no one but a kage could realistically use it and live, so there is precedent for jutsu being forbidden just because it harms yourself or takes a great risk.

Time ... it's complicated. Yeah.

Space.. is something else.
I think it's a bit like D&D planes. I actually based Usagi on this concept.
I think this is mostly dangerouse. The animals(let's call them Yokais) are biologicaly built for dimensional travel. But yeah, I imagined Junin+ Usagi passing between dimensions.
I think it matter of Mastery and the right "tune".

Tech.. yeah. I can see that, Shinobis would assinate anyone who try to devolp such stuff
its less like they would assassinate them and more like steal that tech for themselves to make their village great rather than the other guy so that THEIR village can dominate the world rather than another person dominating the world. why throw away an advantage just because it was the enemy's idea?

so what I'm getting is that your problems are with how the resurrection jutsus are handled and that they could be better done. I was mostly just analyzing and deriving jutsu from canon and whats possible to do because of what we know, and what we may not want to do because of various reasons like this or that.