View Single Post

Thread: Need a character background written up?

1. - Top - End - #600
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Need a character background written up?

Quote Originally Posted by OzDragon View Post
    Name: Lavinia
    Race: Halfling(gypsy clan)
    Class: Wizard/Bard
    Minor notes: Kicked out of wizard school considered failure. Banished by clan. Believes that fate is powerful but can be changed. She wants to change hers.
    Uses Tarot to simulate divination/dice manipulation.
    I had some fun with this; explaining how she came from an important family...
    And how that would lead to her banishment.
    Her idea of changing fate isn't blatantly explained; but her standing up against her parents (and their history) is that first step (in the event that's not clear)...
    =============================

I have spent my life struggling to find what defines the person I am. My family line, the Barrenhowl, have a long history of mastering the Arcane Arts. I spent what felt to be countless years trying to learn how to master the Arcane Arts because it was expected of me being a Barrenhowl. The pressure from my family was incredibly intense; even my clan – a roaming band of gypsies that made a living through art, tarot card reading, and magic (with the occasional pocket picked here and there).

I knew the magic coursed in my veins – I could feel it. But the truth of the matter was, that’s not where my heart was. When I heard a fellow Gypsy named Kaine Rollinghill play his lyre, each pluck of the string was like having my own heartstrings plucked. It had nothing to do with any form of attraction to Kaine, but rather an attraction to the music he was making.

When I decided to turn my back on the Arcane Arts, my parents were furious. Of course, being a Barrenhowl, they had a significant amount of pull, and one day called for the Gypsies Council and demanded that if I did not resume my Arcane Studies and thus keep the Barrenhowl name synonymous with Magic that I should be removed from the clan. Everyone had cast an uneasy glance, but again – my family has had a strong pull with my clan for centuries. They unanimously voted to agree with my parents, then turned to me to see if I would change my mind.

When they came to summon me into the Gypsies Circle, I took inventory of everyone’s sorrowful expression and stern expression of my parents and already knew what they decided. I stood my ground and explained I will not bend to the will of my parents and that I will forge music rather than magic with my hands.

As a part of our clan’s rules, a mage must use their magic to shunt me away – a spell that essentially teleports me in a random direction away from the clan. Ironically, it was my own mother who had to shunt me away – and she looked at me sternly as she reached out her hand slowly to touch my forehead, as if I might break and tell her I will practice magic. I knew once I was banished I would be forbidden from associating my own last name to myself because my family feels as if I've dishonored them...

Just before she touched my head, Kaine shouted, “Hold!” Racing up he handed me his lyre. And with that I was shunted away.

I reappeared near a mountain range that I did not recognize and the moon was already rising in the sky and darkness was just beginning to cover the skies like a blanket. I gathered some wood, made a small campfire, and began to play the lyre.

For the first time in my life, I was at peace, but curious what would come next…
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-11-22 at 06:36 PM.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)