Quote Originally Posted by MrCharlie View Post
The real reason people dump on the ranger is because there is little it does that's better than another class
This! Yes. Why couldn't I express that myself? I've made noise wishing there was an official, legit, non magic ranger option recently, but with or without spells, what I think of as a ranger should be The Skirmisher in some specific situations (possibly while ambushing or being ambushed) somehow. If you want to tie it to a favoured terrain (because the flavour wise it's good even though the mechanics are very unfun) then maybe just a choice between urban and everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Speely View Post
I can't think of any overrated classes or subclasses. Most of the ones that are mediocre are regarded rather poorly. I guess the closest I can come is the Assassin. It's not widely loved in my experience, but I have seen players overrate their abilities and struggle to chase situations in which those abilities are useful. The Rogue base class is so strong that it makes this almost a non-issue, though.

Underrated: Kensei Monk. This is an oft-maligned subclass that has performed really well for me, and I have had a blast playing one in both a fun and effective fashion.
Agreed. Breaking credibility to optimise really the only thing that starts to make certain classes seem way out of hand in my mind. Without that happing basically anything is playable. Even my poor, poor Ranger.

A propos kensai: Wood elf outlander kensai is a damn decent ersatz ranger of you're looking for something with a sort hinterlands mobile guerrilla/bounty hunter feel. Been playing one for a while and maybe other monk subclasses are way better, I don't know first hand, but i have no complaints with this one's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
Drop the bear spirit at the start of each day and your party's relative HP by 50%. It's like getting a better mass healing word that recharges every short rest.(the THP don't have a duration so they last until they take a long rest)

Later on use it before a short rest and keep the unicorn on tap for emergencies.

It out Heals the dream druid while simultaneously having Beefed up summons.

I like dream druids a lot but shepherd is a monster if played halfway decent.
Holy crap temporary hit points don't fade on a short rest? Wish I'd known that while my fiend bladelock was low level. Might have been a house rule.

Actually I'd recommend it as a house rule. At least in the case of a low level fiend warlock the dilema of weather or not its a good idea to short test and get a spell or two back but to lose 5-8 hit points when those points really count was actually a quite a bit of fun, and really added to the satisfaction of barely scraping through those first few levels.