Hi playgrounders,

a potentially GM had a kinda strange idea that first sounded kinda good but then detoriated more and more for every step made in the direction, and the GM withdrew himself from actually playing the game but it still got me thinking how would you try that?

The basic idea was that we have to provide the GM with a background (first it was a series of questions without a background, then the series of questions with a background then we had to answer some additional questions but these never came.)

From the information he would have gotten from that stuff he would create a character sheet he had total controll off and we would really get a character sheet, but instead of Climbing 8, we would read Climbing = You're pretty confident. Or base attack: 0 = You never attacked someone before (I draw that characteristics purely out of nothing just to give you some context.)

My questions basically boil down too: Would you have try'd this as a GM or Player? Or are you totally against the idea? Do you have another idea despite providing background to give the GM information that he can use for character creation?

The claim was that way we would try stuff that we would normally not try because we know that we are not that good in a certain field and we could surprise ourselves and it would lead to more roleplaying if we don't have hard numbers before us. I can't say if that would have worked because as mentioned we could never give it a try.