Earlier

After spending the latter half of their first day at the Temple, Echo returned with the others the next morning but excused himself from meeting the lesser Clanlords. He was curious, but doubted that his personal involvement would accomplish much. Better to request a summary from the Seneschal later and spend the time on his own errand.

All five of his bodyguards accompanied him to the local market. This city might've been nearly as anarchic as Footfall, so the Rings of Castermire formed a literal circle around their lord and his familiar as he browsed, hands near their weapons and expressions stern to warn off beggars, robbers, and the merely curious. Would the ignorant locals even recognize a Navigator, or see him as anything but a mutant? Hopefully they wouldn't look past his ornate void-suit.

"Stay close to me stay me," Echo told Mr. Wah Dell. This was a bad place to wander off alone.

First and foremost, Kennoch asked about beast-wranglers. He spread the word that House Absalom was in the market for a team of professionals to take off-world--a reward in and of itself, surely, even beyond hard payment. He kept watch for a cantina or cafe of good quality (or what counted for it, on this slum) and made it known that he would be there soon to interview anyone who was interested. Furthermore, the Lord Castermire hoped to sweeten the bargain by offering a reward for a sample of their work: a live, native, trained animal to demonstrate the skill of the applicants. He would pay for the best one, for his personal use.

Kennoch gave time for news to spread and people to gather, busying himself with some shopping. If they were going to capture and tame the Blue Caernun, just as a start, they needed both professionals and the right equipment.

Spoiler: Wranglin'
Show
Since the beast-trainers are for the colony, can I pawn off the actual roll on someone with Commerce? I was thinking that Echo would weed out the dregs, select two or three good teams (if available), and then present them to Macharius to hire his favorite. I plan to use my Memorance Implant to show off images of the beauty of our colony planet, compared to this hell-hole, to hopefully give a bonus to the final roll. I doubt you'll actually give a bonus for buying a xeno-beast like described above (that's mostly fluff), but hey, if you want to, I won't turn it down! Either way, I'm willing to play out a short scene attempting this, if you are too.

Does the two-steps-rarer rule apply to familiars? Because that would make a Best-quality one Unique, and Viatrames definitely doesn't seem lacking in beasts. Furthermore, I'm not buying the finished product, just the base creature. I think it's cooler to have Ravia handle the butchery creation of familiars aboard the ship; surely she's qualified. I'll just make the roll, and you can determine the modifiers, yeah?

Xeno-Beast (PF46 +/- ???): (1d100)[53]

And then for the Webbers, I'm probably doomed to fail with these penalties, but I'll cast a wide net and see if I catch anything. Since it wouldn't make sense for me to succeed on buying a crate of them but fail to buy a lower number for the Rings or Kennoch himself, I'll vary the quality of each set.

A crate (Standard, 50-100; +0) of Common (+0) Webbers (Extremely Rare; -30) for the colony (PF46 - 30 = 16): (1d100)[10]
A set (Trivial, 5; +20) of Good (-10) Webbers (-30) for the Rings (26): (1d100)[49]
A single (Negligible; +30) Best (-30) Webber (-30) for Echo himself (16): (1d100)[68]

Later

Kennoch returned at the Captain's summons, hopefully with new friends in tow. Whatever local trainers he found, if any, were told to wait until after the Command Staff's meeting for their introduction. He requested a general outline of the Clanlords from Anika and read it while the others got started.

The Navis listened quietly, looking between Hannabel and Felidae with private concern. They still see archeotech as something that can be sold at market. What a dangerous perspective. At least they're apparently open to working with the Mechanicus.

"Lord-Commander, I think Lord-Commander Lord-Commander Lord-Commander your instincts are sound instincts are. Clanlords Bruce and Stone Bruce Stone seem our best options our best." He nodded encouragingly at Macharius's wisdom.

And both of them are friendly with the Vulkanites. This Bruce even personally reveres the Omnissiah. What good fortune; surely this is the will of our Emperor, in all his aspects!

"As to our long-term plans long-term, I believe great profit believe profit can be made can be working with the Mechanicus Mechanicus Mechanicus Mechanicus. Didn't Ravia say yesterday Ravia a trade route ran trade route to the Lathes to the? We could revive it we could. In addition to revenue addition revenue, we might bargain we might for access to rare tech access rare, or new facilities new for Port Davis Port Davis Port Davis Port Davis. The Adeptus Mechanicus the makes a grand friend grand. Allow them to manage allow the excavations excavations, let the Rusters rule Rusters, while we merely supervise merely and make the occasional run occasional to Calixis Calixis for high rewards high rewards. I am certain I am other business could be other business incorporated into the journey the journey for the sake sake of efficiency, too of too."