Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
I started to respond to this, looked up the distance between the villages (3 days running speed), and saw a huge argument about just how superhumanly fast ninja run, and decided to give up. When the first estimate is 27,000 KM (more than half the circumference of the Earth), what's the point?

Suffice to say that with the level of technology displayed I believe they WOULD have have had long range communication capability of reaching the sand village without requiring a hard cable connecting the two villages. And certainly there must be faster ways than sending a bloody bird.
Its possible, they clearly have electricity and power lines and such, so at the very least in village phones are easily within the lines of possibility, but as I said, during the 4th war, the most effective method they had for army communication revolved around psychic ninjas and giant water bubbles linking people together, or whatever the heck that whole deal was. Also yeah, its REALLY hard to judge distance travel speed when even as a rookie genin naruto is outrunning a train with a grown woman on his 12 year old back in a sprint. And he wasnt exactly known for his speed back then. But despite being able to dodge at near light speeds its not reasonable to extrapolate that they can marathon run at similar speed levels and even if they technically could jog at bullet train speeds 24/7, such as rock lee or might gai, they have to move as slow as the slowest member of their party can maintain and still be capable of battle at any given point on the trip. As for sending birds it is a funny mix of old and new tech isnt it? Trains and airships mixed with scrolls and messenger birds.