Spoiler: Macharius Only
Show
Noctus ushered Macharius into one of the temple's sparse guest chambers, and made sure nobody was listening in before he continued. The techpriest seemed to be nervous, talking more quickly than was usual.

"I've looked through some of the old records, and I think there may be a way for the Vulkanites to assist your dynasty. Not with the Election, of course, but there are other things related to the planet, and its workings... I'm sure you've heard from your Magos that the Urussalins used to hold exclusive shipping rights to the Lathes? Everything that was dug up here and needed to be taken there. Well, there are still a few things in storage, and as the Urussalin Dynasty has not showed up to transport them in some time, they are technically in default of their contract, and I am technically the ranking Mechanicus priest. This gives me some fairly broad discretionary powers, as far as overseeing Mechanicus interests and re-assigning contracts. I'm sure you can see where this is going?"

Once again, he got up, and checked the door to be sure there were no spies. "I'd like to offer the Absalom Dynasty the exclusive transport contract. This is fully under Mechanicus jurisdiction, and sidesteps the Administratum jurisdiction over rights to the actual planet. If you win the Election, incidentally, I have checked, and that also sidesteps the Administratum: There's allowances in the documentation for appointing local forms of government, and winning would make you something along the lines of Governor-Regent. If you could find the Urussalin Warrant of Trade, that would put you in charge more permanently, but that's another issue entirely."

Noctus made a sort of strangled mechanical noise that Macharius suspected was a cough, and continued. "I'm getting ahead of things. If you accept the contract, I will have the artifacts in storage transferred to your shuttles. You will be obligated to take them to the Lathes, though when you choose to do so is subject to a certain amount of leeway. It need not be immediate, but should be as soon as is practiceable. I'll write a letter of recommendation asserting that you are to take over the Urussalin shipping interests for Viatrames. If you win the Election, I will do what I can to have the Temple support you in cementing power and removing Moore and those like him." The techpriest straightened, drawing himself up inside his robes. "Do you accept, Lord-Captain? This is something of a risk for the temple, but I have come to believe that you may be best positioned to enact positive alteration of the current political climate."

In preparing for the Election, Hannabel selected one of the Slamander's they had acquired as the vehicle of choice. The light tank would be fast, but with a little more durability than something like a Tauros. It came armed with a heavy flamer, which had been modified to use a gasoline derivative fuel instead of Prometheum, and a light autocannon. Fortunately, there were plenty of shells for the autocannon, as it used the same caliber as Macharius' Aquila. There was space for the passengers to shoot out as well, though the heavy weapons they had on hand were mostly going with Commodore Gilead's marines.

There were two full squads of marines, each one armed with one of their captured multilasers from the Processional. The command squad had taken the missile launcher, and loaded it with Krak missiles. The remaining marines were armed with assault lasguns, which would be useless against the vehicles unless they could score a lucky shot on an exposed crewmember, but would hopefully serve well in taking out whatever assault teams the other clans had posted by the course. The Aquila was armed and ready to go, piloted by one of the Sting's reserve pilots in lieu of Hannabel. As military campaigns went, it wasn't much, but it would hopefully be enough to win the day - and it didn't even count as cheating.

Echo's Rings, in the final shuttle, had their own special mission. Anika had managed to identify the two lieutenants Moore was leaving in charge of the palatial Office of the High Clanlord. She had also identified the woman who would be in charge of the Smoker's refineries in Deacon's absense. There were enough armed men in both places that overt assault was a suicidal proposition, but the Rings of Castermire had more of a covert approach in mind.