Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
The other problem is that it's too easy to funnel these people away from public discourse channels or into hidden and isolated echo chambers where all they hear reinforces their viewpoint as they stew in their resentment from the public forum (where their opposition can freely go about).
Part of my problem is that I don't see any evidence that this happen anyway. I've seen echo chambers develop because I dared to go and find scientific evidence, or didn't get my evidence from the 'right' (I thought the NHS was fairly sage, but apparently they make one mistake and say a condition is going to make taking care of yourself difficult in two years instead of seven and they now say dangerous substances are no more dangerous than other sugars). If they're going to form anyway I'd rather not have to deal with the opinions.

And just because we have facts, doesn't meant facts alone will change someone's viewpoint. We need to bring these people into the conversation, but to do that we have to let them be heard, even if it's hard, because their viewpoint matters to them.
Honestly I thought like that, until I realised that some ideas are killing people. Honestly, once deadly diseases started to come back because some people are afraid their kids will end up like me, and I learnt of that charity...

In all honesty, I don't mind people having opinions, as much as I sometimes wish I had the right not to hear them. It's just I'm tired of seeing wrong opinions coming up again and again because people can't do a little research.