1. - Top - End - #338
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds

Quote Originally Posted by Theaitetos View Post
    True, that wouldn't work. However, are you sure GWM is worth it? Have you calculated the AC breaking point (with or without the Belt of Giant Strength)?
    What exactly do you mean by "breaking point"? Like the point where it becomes unlikely to hit? With the Belt it'd be +13 with the -5, which doesn't seem too bad to me. Without, it'd only be +9, so might be best reserved for Channel Divinity.

Hmmm? What character exactly are you trying to create? Is it just about Dragonborn & Fire & Big Sword? What about flying? What about divine smite?

A Forge Cleric might indeed be what you seek: You can still be the big bad fire dragon greatsword knight in heavy armor. You can even get immunity to fire damage and resistance to slashing & piercing & bludgeoning at cleric level 17. You'd still have Fire Storm (7th level spell) and Flame Strike (5th level spell) as blasting fire spells, though no others; Wall of Fire (4th), Heat Metal (2nd), and Searing Smite (1st) are concentration spells conflicting with Elemental Weapon. No flight.
    Oh I was just spitballing lol, maybe splitting this into two separate character ideas. Another possible variation could be Draconic Sorcerer 6/Forge Cleric 14, sacrificing Paladin features to focus on Green-Flame Blade and fire magic. You'd lose a lot of melee capability against fire immune enemies, of course, but it'd be a good fit for the gimmick at least. :P

You could also try a Hexblade Warlock 5 / Draconic Sorcerer 15 build. You lose 9th level spells and you would be seriously delayed in upcasting Elemental Weapon to the 7th spell slot: Instead of level 13, you'd have to wait to level 18 to upcast it to level 7. However, getting it & casting it normally is possible at level 5, as is usual for a 3rd-level spell. That way you can get your wings at level 19.
    Huh, I didn't know Hexblade got Elemental Weapon! That is a potentially interesting idea, although honestly I'm a little tired of Hexblade lol. That aside, it occurs to me that you could squeeze in a level of Fighter there with Sorcerer 14/Hexblade 5/Fighter 1 and get a little extra bang for your buck in the form of a Fighting Style, heavy armor and Second Wind.

Or you could give up on the Elemental Weapon spell and instead get this item:

Or a Flame Tongue Great-Sword to go with GWM. Then you'd be freed from the necessity to chase Elemental Weapon in spell lists and could focus more on everything else you want.
    True! I think a Sorcadin with a Flame Tongue Greatsword is more what I'm looking for. I like the idea of getting the flight from dragon wings, haha. Of course, at this point it doesn't stand out as a Build so much, but then the realization that Elemental Affinity doesn't really work with Elemental Weapon already kind of put a damper on things. Oh well! It's still nice to have Quickened Elemental Affinity GFB for some extra burst damage.
    Last edited by AgenderArcee; 2020-01-06 at 04:20 PM.