1. - Top - End - #191
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Council of Thieves [Bastards of Erebus] (IC)

Folco does find himself hesitating just a smidge. After all, Arael does look like he was badly wounded.

Arael picks up on what might be concern and says, "I summoned a holy symbol in the wagon when you started the rescue. Couldn't cast manacled, but I could channel. I will be fine. I'll drive the wagon most of the way before getting out with my possessions - in this bench locker - and I will come in the 'long way' to the cathedral. Gotta ditch the wagon, so I will head back by a different route. Thank you, I am your servant."

Folco heads back, and if there is any question what is to happen with Arael, Folco can pass along that message.

The trip back to the city is uneventful. With the Hellknights well on their way back to the Citadel and likely shamed, it will be at least an hour before news of the ambush reaches the attention of the Order of the Rack—plenty of time for the PCs and their allies to return to Westcrown.

It is another two hours before a bruised (as you found him) Arael - wearing a large hat to conceal his features - gets to the rebel hideout. There is much cheering for the successful operation, and all can know - PCs and rank-and-file both - that they had a part to play. That's when the PCs found out what Janiven had directed for her main diversionary force.
    Spoiler: Janiven's First Strike
    Show
    Once the PCs were in position, ready to ambush the wagon, Janiven lead the group of other rebels out of the tree cover a few hundred yards west of the PCs’ actual ambush point, down the road ahead of the Hellknights. This secondary group had taken the time to prepare the road with caltrops; they moved into a position at the far side of the caltrops and waved weapons in a threatening manner. As they did so, the Hellknights immediately stopped; mocking laughter and shouts of delighted challenge revealed their arrogance as the four mounted Hellknights galloped forward, leaving only six of their fellows to guard the carriage. As the riders hit the caltrops, two things happened at once: the horses shrieked in pain and staggered, breaking their charge and bucking their unskilled riders from their saddles, and the secondary group of rebels broke for the trees and fled back to Westcrown. The four armigers several hundred feet down the road were unable to return to aid in the battle before the fight was resolved .... or at least when their panicked brethren rushed past them.

Once reunited at the rebel hideout, the rebels formally introduce Arael to the PCs, trade stories with the PCs about the ambushes (see above spoiler), and listen to Arael’s tale of being captured. Fortunately, despite being beaten by his Hellknight captors after they secured custody of him from the Westcrown city watch, his will remained strong and he did not reveal the location of the hideout or the identities of anyone else in the group. He is very relieved, however, that he won’t be imprisoned in Citadel Rivad, and once again thanks the PCs for their help in rescuing him.

Before he does, however, he will channel energy to heal everyone that was wounded. The first blast was enough to fully heal Meijen. His second blast is enough to fully heal Erasmus and Folco. Two castings of cure moderate wounds on Tia, even with her strange heritage, is enough to fully heal her. He is getting tired, so a casting from CLW on himself heals the minimum. Still, it is enough for him to be happy that he will be fine come the next day. Before long, his ordeal takes its toll and he excuses himself to rest.

It isn't long before the rest of the PCs - nearly all whom suffered severe wounds during the battle (but have since healed) - are tired and themselves turn in.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-01-09 at 10:39 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.