View Single Post

Thread: Pan-aeons: a God Game

1. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pan-aeons: a God Game

The Island of Sanctuary

The birth of justice

It began as a night like any other. The terrors of Sanctuary with enough wit to not succumb to their bloodlust were taking their third daily bath in the Moonpool under the watchful eyes of Tua and Na'omi. The waters, it were found, had a soothing effect on their bloodlust. These ritual baths were done, not just for the purifying effect of water, but also as a way to pay respect to the great One themselves.

Unfortunately, the job of watching scaly lizards bathe is also a very boring one. The two transmuters are barely paying attention to the terrors, and are instead passing their time by playing a game of white and black stones upon the ground of their small booth. They are so intent on their game that they fail to notice the approach of wild beasts until an otter barges through their playing field and down to the edge of the moon pool where it sits patiently. The two youths sit up in surprise, looking first at the otter, and then at the many, many other beasts approaching the water's edge. "Tua?"

"Yeah, I see it too. Look at all the animals." Elephants, hyenas, wild cats, boars, even rodents all drift to the moon pool to linger at the edge of water. They ignore the two pygmies completely, and even the terrors receive no more than a cursory glance for as long as they remain observing. "What's goin' on?"

"Shh... can you feel it?" A thrill travelling up and down their spines. Faint but present. Lifting their arms up into the pale moonlight they can see that the hair on their arms stands on end, as if the air was bitter cold. "What's going on."

"I don't know, but it's something big. You keep observing. I'm gonna go warn the Masters."

"Please hurry." Na'omi watches her brother run off, barely avoiding stepping on a family of hedgehogs that come lumbering towards the water's edge. All around the lake, as far as the eye can see, animals line the edge of the water. Birds roost in the trees, fish skim the water surface. And Na'omi herself feels a strange pull. Despite her fears and the sensation that the whole scene is unnatural, she can't help but walk closer to the edge of the water. She takes care to not step upon any of the many beasts, and when she finally reaches the water's edge she reaches a hand out to touch the water.

The water surges. The animals cry out in delight. Lake and moonlight swirl before Na'omi's eyes. Twist and coalesce, forming the pristinely clear form of The Great One, Petr of the Waters. They stand tall, at least thrice as tall as Na'omi herself. The body is water of the moonpool, their whole form is filled with pinpricks of brilliant light, and in their arms they are carrying a bundle of something wrapped in rainbow cloth.

"Hrm?" Petr looks about themselves, then down at Na'omi. The pygmy shivers as she feels the divine gaze fall upon her, and she throws herself down on her knees, planting her face where water brushes against wet sand.

"My Lord and Lady!" She cries out, her whole body shivering in fear and anticipation both. "Blessed am I to bathe in your presence. Please forgive me my insolence!"

"Insol... sweet child." The gentle voice gives a soft, pearl-like laugh as the god kneels down, gently tipping Na'omi's head up so that their eyes can meet. "Why would I consider you insolent? You actually came here to welcome my child. Honestly, if anyone is insolent, it's the rest of the island for not taking the time to come welcome my son."

Na'omi swallows softly, standing up as the firm grip of the god guides her upwards. "S... sorry. Your... child?"

"Oh yes." Petr lightly twists on the bundle of rainbow cloth. A light shift to reveal the sleeping form of Nerassus. Wrapped in the bundle, the only thing Na'omi can make out is the face. It's... decidedly not pygmy. It's covered in a layer of thin blue fur. His face has the sharp, angular features of a fox, only slightly softened into a more square muzzle. Two triangular ears poke out at the top of his head, and around the corner of his eyes are small red markings that look vaguely like doorways shaped from fire. On his forehead, part of the blue yields to form a brilliant white-yellow sun that almost seems like it glows in the dark night. "Isn't he precious?"

"This is your child?!" Na'omi leans forward. She lifts one hand up, stops herself to look up at Petr, and when the god nods slightly, she reaches forward to brush a hand across his form. "He's very big... and he doesn't look like you very much... ah, I mean no disrespect!"

Petr laughs heartily. "Please dear, don't be afraid of me. The ocean may be fickle, but I am never cruel. And yes. His great size is a gift from Yir, and the looks... well, that is Alatadriel's result." Petr looks up at the assembly of animals. "The presence of these ones, that is the blessing of Avestra. The blanket he's wrapped in, that's a gift from Timorin. He is truly a blessed child."

"And you brought him here to introduce to us?"

"Well... no. I brought him here to live with you." Na'omi looks up, wide-eyed at the god. "He needs to learn from mortals, for he is something entirely new. Divine power given mortal flesh. And so that he may grow up and become a proper arbiter of justice, he needs to experience just what it is like to live a mortal life. He shall live, bleed, hunger and thirst among mortals. He shall feel your burdens and suffer them so that he may learn."

Na'omi withdraws her hand with a thoughtful frown. "You... you are confident enough in us to care for, nurture and raise your child?"

"Well of course. Do you think I shouldn't be?"

"Well... no." Na'omi watches as Petr lowers the baby down onto the sand, where a business of ferrets all crawl over to snuggle and support the sleeping form. "It's just a surprise is all. To hear that you hold such trust in us. I... oh I feel like I'm only saying the wrong thing."

"Fear not child." Petr gives Nerassus's face one last gentle brush, before the watery form begins to dissolve. "You are in capable hands. Know that I'll be watching over you."

The form fades back into the moonpool itself, the light and presence is gone. Even the thrill that brushed over Na'omi's back. Only Nerassus remains, with the many animals circling him, stepping close to rub against his form before stepping away again. The constant grinding upon the little baby's form eventually wake him up, and he begins to cry. Just as Tao appears with several of the Masters in tow.

---

The Castle of Masters
    Spoiler: Raising a child
    Show

"I've finally got him to sleep." P'ua walks out of the bedroom with a disheveled look on his face. His hair is all muzzed up and his eyes having narrow lines from a lack of sleep. He walks over to a nearby pile of grass pillow and flumps heavily into the somewhat soft bedding. "I didn't even know we had that many different kinds of squirrels on the island."

"I hear ya." Kalepo is holding a piece of ice against his face, though he pulls it away to show off the deep purple mark around one of his eyes to P\ua. "How's my face look."

"Awful. What happened?"

"Well, you know how we've been trying to get him to eat solids? I put some fish on his plate and tried to get him to eat it. He absolutely refused and threw the whole thing right in my face."

"I guess we should be glad we're not giving him coconuts."

---

"Can you say "mama"?" Misty holds an idol of Petra before Nerassus. A carving in clay, painted in blues and yellows, wearing the benevolent smile of the Ocean Goddess.

"Ama?" Nerassus grins brightly. Already taller than all around him, but still with a mind born from mortality. "Ama." He reaches for the carving.

"No no." Misty pulls the carving away and tsks softly. "Say Mama. Properly this time."

The large demigod frowns, pounding his fists hard into the ground, making Misty's legs quiver a bit as the ground shakes. "Ama! Giff Ama!"

"Not until you say it right. Mama." Misty stands her ground, narrowly gazing up at the demigod. "Ma. Ma."

"Mama!" Nerassus growls in anger. "Giff Mama! Giff Mama!"

Misty grins and throws a piece of dried mango into Nerassus's maw. The large demigod coughs and gags as the food falls into his throat, almost choking him before he finally gets it down the right whole. "See, was that so hard? Now can you say "Aunt Misty?""

"AMA!"

"We have a long way to go still..."

---

"Okay students. I hope you've been practicing your water conjuration, as we're going to need a lot of it." P'ua sizes up the four young aquamancers sitting on the floor before him, each a sorcerer who has shown surprising aptitude within the school of water, and have thus been given a chance to study beneath the most prestigious Master of Aquamancy in probably the whole world. "Now, usually this task would fall to Misty, Dew'eyera's daughter. Unfortunately, she was hit even worse by the accident, and has had to take a day off to recover."

"Accident?" One of the students, a red-haired neanderthal of about seventeen years quirks his head curiously. "Are we to practice healing spells Master?"

"Alas, no." P'ua picks up four small yellow blocks. A mix of congealed coconut oil, potash and some flower petals for the scent. "You will need this."

"Soap?"

"Indeed." P'ua opens a door to a small chamber, where Nerassus is sitting still on the floor, his entire frame completely caked in mud, dirt, slime and a massive mix of decaying plant matter. "Get to work kids. I want him smelling like a flower before I consider us done!"

Spoiler: Lessons in dance and faith
    Show
    "No. Nerassus. You can't wear this." Nani gently put firmly tugs the rainbow cloak from Nerassus, throwing it aside while sternly wagging her finger. "This is a celebration of your parent. You have to dress properly."

"No! Is mine!" Nerassus grabs for the cloak, and it takes Nani all the effort she can muster to keep the oversized child from toddling over to pick the cloak up. "NOOOOO! CAP! MY CAP!"

"Nerassus." The demigod shrieks, it's a loud, petulant cry. "Nerassus!" Nani grabs the boy firmly. Her fingers dig into his flesh with enough force that he visibly winces. "What would your parent say if they saw you now? How sad wouldn't they be to hear that their kid can't even bother to honour her.

"Buh." Nerassus sniffles. "Cap."

"Nerassus. You can play as much as you want afterwards. Come."

Unfortunately, Nerassus refuses to move. He is large, heavy, and Nani has to get several guards to help force him down to the garden. When they arrive, the ceremony has already begun. One of the island priests stand before a congregation of people. Men, women, young and old alike. The priest is wearing a robe. A dirty thing made from dried and stitched together seaweed. Everyone else is wearing even less. Mostly just simple skirts to cover up their waists.

The priest is talking about benevolence. Of the duty the strong has to care for the weak. About how the group as a whole is stronger than any individual. About the bountiful blessings of the ocean. And Nerassus doesn't care a lick for any of his words. He has grabbed himself a twig and some stones and is happily playing way in the back of the congregation, pretending that he is building a house, or maybe a person, or maybe an island. The construction changing with every passing whim. He's so enthralled in his work that when the congregation suddenly stands up all around him he ends up crying from surprise. He starts to wail loudly, and Nani steps up to him to gently hug him close, hiding his face in her chest while gently brushing over his ears. "Shh... shh. Don't cry. It's okay. You're safe. There's nothing scary."

Nera sniffles softly, hugging tight on Nani. Some of the crowd glance back at the demigod, but no one comments on the scene. Through Nani's long dark hair, Nera watches as the crowd splits into couples. Man and woman as best they can, though two pairs are women only, and the priest has no partner at all. He walks through the crowd, guiding people through the steps of the dance. The soft sway of arms, like the waves of the ocean. Hands cupped together and spreading out like flower buds in bloom. Man and woman embracing to represent the divine one-ness that is Petr.

Such symbolism completely flies over Nera's head. To him it's just a whole bunch of strangers bouncing about in his garden, being all scary and loud and he doesn't like it. Not in the slightest!

Spoiler: The first lessons of Aquamancy
    Show
    It's a bright and warm summer day. The sky is a brilliant blue that rivals the ocean. The sand has baked in the sun to the point of being oh so pleasantly warm to step on, and young Nera's fur is stained from a long morning playing in the sand with the other children. They have built sandcastles for crabs. A village full of sand people. And even a church with several marvelous flags of sticks and seaweed. It has been hours, but it only felt like minutes. Nowhere near enough time. And yet here P'ua is. The old aquamancer smiling gently as he plants a hand on Nerassus's shoulder. "Child, it's time for you to say goodbye to your friends."

"But P'uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuua." Nera whines loudly, poking one of the crabs waltzing about it's castle. "We hafta make mr Shelly's castle. An... an Nutters needs his house, an, an what about ms Dove?"

P'ua reaches down to gently wave the squirrel, bird, and other animals away, making Nera whine as they scamper away. "Nera. They will be here to play later, but right now it is important that you begin to learn. You're the son of a god. And I won't." He pauses, taking a deep breath as he shakes his head. "Nevermind. Nerassus. Look at this." P'ua reaches out towards the ocean. He makes a gentle, grasping motion and in so doing he pulls a stream of water out of the ocean. He spins his fingers, making the water dance before him before forming it into a small copy of himself.

"Is P'ua!" Nerassus claps his hands together, giggling happily. He reaches in to poke the small water copy, blinking as the water maintains it's shape as it flows around his thick finger.

"It's the "Control Water" spell. It's perhaps the simplest expression of aquamancy. And though you're not aware of it, you're actually making a good example of what you must understand to control water."

"Hee! WaterP'ua face looks silly!"

P'ua exhales deeply, shaking his head. "Yes yes. Very silly. But see how the water flows around your finger to maintain it's shape. You're disturbing the water, but always as you move your finger, the water adjusts itself to maintain it's shape. And that is the core of aquamancy. Flexibility."

"F... F... fle... shibiltu?"

"Close." P'ua gently brushes a hand across the back of Nerassus's head. "Water is one of the most flexible things in the whole world. It can be as hard as steel, or it can be as light and ephemeral as air. It flows to fill any crack it can reach. It's easy to manipulate. A lot of aquamancers thus begin their path by imposing their will on water. Commanding it. Demanding how it should act, how it should flow. Where it goes and what it does. And to a point, it works. They trudge along, playing in their ponds."

Nerassus claps his hands around the small water sculpture, laughing as the water splashes all about them before rapidly reforming again. "Splash!"

"Indeed. They make simple splashes, thinking that throwing a rock in a pond is controlling the pond. It is not. For a true master does not command water. He allows water to command him, to read it's flows, it's movements. He works with water, not against it." With a gesture the small water sprite jumps back into the water, melting into the ocean. Nera stands up to run after, but finds his feet suddenly frozen to the ground. The stinging chill making him yelp.

"Wah. Cold!"

P'ua doesn't answer. He steps up besides Nera, gently holding his shoulder with one hand. The other reaches out towards the ocean. He tugs lightly towards him, then relaxes, repeating the motion. And as he does the water reaches further and further up on the beach. The tug of the undertow rushes strong around their feet as the ocean withdraws further away than Nerassus has ever seen before. And then it all comes rushing back towards him at incredible speeds. He cries out, shielding his eyes and digging his head into P'ua. But the aquamancy Master lifts two fingers to the approaching wave and splits them, creating a tiny crack that breaks the wave in two. The water crashes heavily on either side of them in churning eddies of foamy white, washing the beach clear of structures. "And that..." P'ua gently lifts Nera's head up to look at the cleared beach. "Is the power of a Master Aquamancer."

"Nooo. Shelley's castle!"

Spoiler: Divining the stars
    Show
    "Hey, pst. Nerassus?!" Nani's voice rings in the sleeping form's ears. The young demigod yawns and rolls over, opening his eyes to look at the master diviner. She has slipped into a large robe to protect against the chill of the night. "Wanna see something cool?"

"Mlem." He sits up, yawning and clutching a small cloth doll against his chest, created in the image of Petr. The rainbow cape has been formed into a one piece suit that covers his whole form, leaving only his hands and head exposed. "Nani?" He clutches the plush tight to his chest.

"Quick. Come with me." She tugs on Nerassus's hands, pulling the demigod with her to the very top of the castle where she has her observation chamber. The night sky is full of stars, but what Nani points to specifically is a large comet whose tail is blazing across the sky. "Look. See there?"

"Oooh! Pretty!"

"Very." Nani smiles and gestures to the stars, pointing out two that the comet seems to be passing between. "Those two stars are named Deneb and Canopus. When you perform Astrology, Deneb is a star of love, and Canopus is a star of war. The comet is a sign of fortune. Meaning that those who can observe and understand these signs can expect good fortune in both their lovelife and any fights they might get into.

Nera clutches his doll close to his chest, rocking back and forth as he watches the comet. "Maybe momma will come visit?"

Nani smiles gently, hugging Nera from behind. "You miss her?"

"Uhuh. You do future sighting? Do you know when momma will come visit?"

Nani leans back, frowning as she gazes up at the sky along with Nerassus. "I can try." She breathes in deeply, her gaze flickering from star to star, whispering words quietly to herself that Nerassus can't make out. The process takes a good five minutes, before Nani exhales, as if she's been holding her breath all this time. "I'm sorry. I can't tell you when she returns."

"No! You see the future. You have to know!"

"Nera dear. That's not quite how it works." She rubs her chin thoughtfully. "You remember during your birthday? The play? You asked me if I knew how it ended?"

"Yeah. That was fun!"

"It sure was. But, think of the whole world as that play. I saw the play unfold just like you did. I didn't "see into the future" to see what would happen."

"What? But you said that the Wicked Queen would stumble and fall, and she did!"

Nani nods and gestures for Nera to look at the ground beneath them. "And if you were to stand up and walk over into the darkness there, I could say that you'd stumble and fall. Not because I see the future, but because I know there's an uneven part of the floor there that you'll stumble on." Nerassus looks up at Nani, his face a question mark of utter confusion. "The strongest predictor of the future isn't like seeing a different part of the play. It is in seeing, and knowing, all the current parts of the play, knowing how those pieces will move, and what the consequences of that will be."

"Uh..."

"It's okay if you don't understand. You're young, and many of my students still struggle to comprehend the idea. But in the simplest terms I can think of..." Nani rubs her chin, licks her lips as she searches for the words. "The future is what the present creates. If you throw a stone, you can predict that it will fall to the ground. The more you know, the more you can tell what will happen. And that's what astrology is. Asking the stars what they know, what they see, and what they predict. They see and understand far more than what us mortals can do." Nani gives Nera another gentle squeeze. "Unfortunately, even the stars can not well predict what the gods will do."

Spoiler: Transmutations and change
    Show
    "The school of the warrior is the school of change and adaptiveness!" Tao straightens his back as he sizes up Nerassus. The young but still giant demigod has been given a wooden practice sword, which looks more like a toothpick with how he holds it between two fingers. Nerassus uses the sword to make a playful salute.

"Sir. Yes sir." Before breaking down into fits of giggles.

"It's a branch of magic entirely about change." Tao continues, trying to ignore the childish tittering. "For example. By channeling mana into your skin you can give it all sorts of properties. You can make it strong as wood, stone, or even steel. You can make your limbs longer or stronger. It is all about understanding your own body, and how a direct infusion of mana can change it. You understand what mana is yes?"

"Uhu. Uhu." Nerassus starts to snicker loudly into his own arm.

"Good. Now, mana is something your body naturally regenerates and it is the energy with which we use to cast spells. You've probably felt how after casting enough spells you begin to feel weak and-" Nerassus snorts loudly again, barely restraining his laughter. "Okay, seriously. What is it that you find so amusing?"

"Hehe. It's... it's just... you're a sir!" Nerassus sniggers loudly. "Y... you know? Like a tree?!"

"That's a fir..."

Spoiler: Lessons in... stealth?
    Show
    "Nerassus?!" Dew'eyera looks about at the dark, ancient caverns that have been at the top of the mountain since long before he was born. A cold, bitter wind blows through the ruined chambers, carrying what sounds like the rumbling laugh of the demigod from deep within. "Nerassus! Where are you?! It's time for your necromancy lessons!" He walks deeper into the cave, unaware that behind and above, hidden in a crack among the dusty ruins are both Nera and Misty.

"Heh. Look at my father go." Misty whispers, playfully nudging Nera.

"He can't see us, because we're right behind him but he doesn't know to look behind himself." Nera grins. His own voice is louder, but luckily not loud enough to catch Dew's attention.

"Shh. We don't want him to find us." Misty glances down one last time, before beckoning to Nerassus. "Okay, coast is clear. This way."

Misty walks over to one of the ancient reliefs. She digs her fingers into a narrow crack behind it and slowly tugs it open. Stone scrapes against stone as the relief reveals a secret chamber behind itself. The two walk in to reveal a den of treasure, lit up by a single blue magicite lamp. In one corner of the room are several small clay pots, in which various fungi grow. Peculiar artifacts, from mundane but exotic metalworking tools, to peculiar designs old as the ruins themselves. There's a small table on which rests eight different skulls. A male and a female specimen of giant, human, neanderthal and pygmy. And on the center of the table is a ery peculiar device which immediately grabs Nera's attention.

"What's this?" Nera reaches out to touch the device, but Misty quickly snatches it from his grip.

"Careful. This here is a special gift from the gods. Well, one of them. But divine nonetheless." She grins, putting the device back on the table. "You shouldn't touch it. It'll take you to a very strange place. I use it when I need some really cool ruins to meditate in."

"C'mon. Please. I promise I'll be careful!"

"No. Maybe when you're older."

"Aww." Nerassus slumps down, crossing his arms with a pout. "So what are we doing here?"

"Taking a break. This is my secret spot. Father doesn't know about it, so if you ever need to just... hide away from the world, this is the place to go."

Spoiler: Lessons in Nature Magic
    Show
    "I'll be honest with you Nerassus, but you have to be the most difficult student I've taught." The archdruid rubs his chin thoughtfully as he sighs heavily.

"I'm sorry." Nerassus's voice is a soft whimper of a whisper as he hangs his head in shame. In his arms he is clutching a painted dog. Resting in his lap is a sleeping Lynx, there's a rodent resting on his shoulder, and a squirrel is muzzing up the fur on his head. "I'll try to do better."

"That's not the problem. The problem is that you're just too good at this. Honestly, it's hard for me to think of what more I can teach you!"

Spoiler: Lessons in tree-whispering
    Show
    "Close your eyes child." The Master of Whispers stare intently at Nerassus. She has placed the demigod beneath the tallest tree in the bird sanctuary. A mighty oak planted when Sanctuary was still landlocked. It's roots dig deep, it's branches stretch tall, and the trunk is thicker around than even a giant can hug. And it's a finicky spirit. Even the Master of Whispers occasionally struggle to understand it's wisdom. "Meditate. Let your mind empty. Focus only on your breath, until that too disappears from your thoughts. Deafen yourself to the world. Only when there is absolute silence will you hear the forest. Sit here until the words reach you. Only when you hear the whisper of the wood shall you come seek me out."

"Understood Master." The young five-year old breathes deeply. The smell of loam and pollen fills his nose. The drip of a small waterfall rushes somewhere behind him. Birds flit in the sky. All these sounds he tries to block out. Even the footsteps of his Master as he leaves. All is still, and all is silent.

---

Late that night, in the Castle of Masters, the sound of crackling fire fills one of the main halls. Outside the sound of wind howls and pounds of the wall. And occasionally there's a loud crack of thunder. Dew shudders softly as he curls himself up tighter before the fireplace, wrapping a blanket of wool tighter around his form. "Ha... what a storm. It's nights like that I'm happy I can live in a god-built castle."

"I hear ya." P'ua smiles as he carves over blocks of ice using nothing but magic. He creates small statues that he enchants to resist melting, placing them out on the table before him. "You ready for tonight's wargame? Tao said he's been working on a new strategy that will, in his words, "trounce us so badly we'll hide our face in shame." So I'm thinking we're looking at another aggressive early blitz."

"Maybe we should ask Nera to join in tonight? I think he's old enough to participate. Or at least not eat the game pieces." Dew grins as he steps over to the table, picking up a piece to look it over. "You've gotten pretty good."

"Thanks. Go fetch Nera? If he falls asleep while we play, we can just all pitch in and carry him to bed."

"Got it." Dew wanders off, returning a few minutes later with a frown on his face. "Hey, do you know where he is? I didn't find him in his room."

"Hrm. I think he was supposed to have his first lesson in Treewhispering today..." P'ua's face suddenly goes pale as he glances out at the storm. "You don't think..."

---

Fifteen minutes later, P'ua, Dew'eyera and Master of Whispers, Ozu, all rush down the slippery, dark path to the bird sanctuary. The rain above comes pouring down in thick sheets. After only a few seconds outside they're all drenched to the bone. The winds howl loud enough that they can barely hear one another, and their vision is so poor, they can barely make out the ground three steps ahead. If it weren't for Ozu's familiarity with their surroundings, they would have never found their way.

But they do. They find the massive oak, and circling around it they find Nerassus, still in a kneeling position. P'ua rushes forward to clutch his form, which causes the young boy's eyes to shoot open. He looks from P'ua to Ozu, and slowly opens his almost frozen mouth. "S... s... s.. sor-rry Ma... Mas... ster Ozu. I c... c.. c couln...dn't. he...hear an... anything."

Spoiler: The art of necromancy?
    Show
    "A lot of people think that necromancy is the manipulation of bodies and of death. It is not. It is the manipulation of souls, and the balance between life and death." Dew'eyera thrusts his chest outwards as he nods over the corpse between himself and Nerassus and Misty. "The soul is the core of the living experience. It is what separates us from this." He gestures to the lifeless body.

"But... how am I gonna learn how to manipulate souls if there's no soul here to manipulate?"

"You're not." Dew'eyera whips out a scalpel and grins. "First I'm going to teach you about anatomy, and how the body and it's physiology works. Misty, help him guide his scalpel. Now, we begin by making a small cut here..."

Spoiler: How an enchanter works
    Show
    Nerassus growls loudly as he brings the axe down upon the wood. Sweat pours from his brow to soak his chest, and his breathing is heavy from labour as the six year old looks from the pile of wood he has chopped, to the still much larger pile of unchopped wood. "Nghn. Master Kalepo. Haven't I chopped enough wood now?"

Kalepo looks up from the grassy field he's lying upon, glancing over the two piles before sinking down again. "You still have plenty wood left to chop don't you? Why is it taking you so long? You're bigger and probably stronger and me. But I'd be done already."

"That's unfair!" Nera pouts, crossing his arms as he stamps his feet hard. "How am I supposed to learn anything from this?!"

Kalepo sighs dramatically as he stands up. "You're really not getting it huh? What's your problem?"

"My problem is you aren't teaching me anything!" Nerassus howls angrily.

"Oh really? So it's not that... say, your tool is bad?"

"It's the tool you gave me!"

"And why haven't you made it better?"

"I... I don't know how?"

"Didn't stop the first enchanters." Kalepo takes the axe and makes a simple pass with his hand over the head. A small field of purplish energy briefly flickers to life. Tightening his grip, Kalepo swings the axe down on a nearby log, cleaving it in two with one smooth, easy strike. "Piece of cake." He hands the axe back to Nerassus, smirking. "So what have you learned?"

"Uh..." Nerassus scratches his head curiously, seeking for an answer.

"You've learned that a good tool makes the job go by much faster. So make yourself a better tool yeah?"

"I guess..." Nera exhales deeply. "I'll try to figure it out. You're really smart Kalepo."

With a cheeky grin and a knowing look at the stack of wood that Nerassus fails to comprehend, Kalepo responds with a cheeky "The smartest."

Spoiler: Solar sorcery
    Show
    Okeyani barely acknowledges Nerassus's presence as the demigod makes his way up to the top of the castle's observation spire. An earthenware bowl filled with stones rests on a table in the center of the room. "You're late."

"I am?" Nerassus looks down, lowering his head in shame. "I'm sorry. I came here as quickly as I could."

"That is an excuse young man. And in solar sorcery, there is no room for excuses." Okeyani takes a step towards Nerassus, then another. Her feet climb the air as if she was walking up an invisible staircase,allowing her to look down on Nerassus. "Solar Sorcery can not be performed by the weak of will or the sloppy. It is will, grace, desire... perfection." She looks over Nerassus and gestures to the ground. "Take a seat."

Without really thinking, Nerassus does as instructed, settling on the floor and allowing Okeyani to cease her flight and still look down on the young demigod. "And you're gonna teach me that?"

"No. Because perfection isn't something to be taught. It is something you claim through your own hard work and dedication. What I will teach you is how, through solar sorcery, you tell the world that it is not perfect. That it should be different. That it should be how you desire."

"What do you mean?"

Okeyani picks up one of the stones from the earthenware bowl and holds it before Nerassus. "What is this child?"

"It's a stone?"

"No. It's an apple." Okeyani lifts the rock up before her, except it is now covered in a deep crimson skin, and it has a faintly sweet smell.

"Huh. But...whoa no way. That was a rock. I saw it!"

Okeyani brings the fruit to her mouth. She bites in deeply, tearing of a chunk of the fruit which she chews and swallows, before licking the fruit juice from around her lips. "Pretty tasty for a rock."

"That's so cool!"

Okeyani permits herself a slight smile before she grabs another rock, passing it to Nerassus. "Now you try."

"Okay... okay." He clenches his fist tight around the rock, obscuring it from view for a moment. "This is an apple, this is an apple."

"What is?!"

"This rock?"

"Is a rock?"

"No it's an apple."

"Is it?" Nerassus opens his eyes to look at the object in his palms. It still feels pretty hard, but it now has a nice red colouration on the outside. "Is that an apple Nerassus?"

"Y... yeah. I think so."

"Prove it." Okeyani looks into Nerassus's eyes. Her hands on her hips and her upper body bent slightly forward. Nerassus feels the whole posture intimidating, but he won't tell. Instead he brings the apple to his mouth. Places it between his teeth. And bites down.

*crnch*

"OWWWWWWWWWWWWW!" He howls in pain, holding his jaws as the rock with it's extremely thin layer of skin drops from his hands to the ground. "Oww oww oww oww oww."

"Looks like you've got a long way to go still child."

Spoiler: The forbidden art of pyromancy
    Show
    "There's no doubt about your heirtage Nerassus." P'ua smiles warmly as the demigod finishes creating a ring of ice around a straw dummy. "Even mages who focus only on Aquamancy struggle to reach your level of mastery so quickly. And yet here you are, able to perform the basics of every single school of magic there is."

"Thank you." Nerassus beams with pride down at his teacher. "But... actually. I've been meaning to ask. Some people tell me about a ninth school of magic. Fire. And I just... I was curious. Why don't people talk about it? Why isn't there a fire Master? Why haven't any of you taught me about that?"

P'ua exhales softly, shaking his head at the big demigod. "Because... it is a dangerous school. The goddess of Fire, Alatadriel, is a covetuous and jealous god. When Su'ule granted mortalkind the ability to perform magic, Alatadriel grew jealous of mortalkind. She cursed fire, so that whenever it interacts with magic it grows wild and unpredictable, seeking to burn the body and soul of the practicioner. In her greed she took part of magic and sealed it away, hoping to keep true Mastery away from mortalkind."

"Oh..." Nerassus frowns thoughtfully. "Is that why no one can use it?"

"... some can use it. A highly skilled aquamancer can shield his body from the ravages of fire."

"So I could learn it?"

"Why?"

"Hrm?"

"Why do you want to learn fire magic?"

"Because..." Nerassus frowns. "I mean, I'm supposed to eventually guard the island right? That means I need to become a proper Su'Speaker, so that I can be as strong as possible to keep everyone safe."

"And what strength would fire magic give you?"

"I... guess it'd be good for attacking? Maybe?"

P'ua chuckles. A soft, mirthless laugh as he glances over at the dummy. "Offense. The simplest, and least useful form of pyromancy. If you wish to go on the offensive..." He gestures towards the dummy. A thin strand of water shoots out from his fingers. It flows into the dummy's mouth, and a brief moment later P'ua clenches his fist. As he does the dummy bursts apart from the inside as a massive, spiky ice crystal forms within. "Even Aquamancy, the school of healing, can easily kill someone. Destroying someone is oh so easy. You don't need fire to do that."

"Then... then why did you learn it?" Nerassus looks at the ice crystal covered in straw and torn cloth. He feels a little squeamish, but can't bring himself to look away.

"For what fire magic uniquely can bring. Remember your first lesson in Treewhispering? How cold you were when we found you?"

"I do..."

"Back then I used fire magic to warm you up. A layer of heat to wrap gently about you. Water could have healed you if the cold injured you. But the heat allowed us to keep you from getting hurt in the first place. It has also been useful whenever Kalepo has done experiments with metalworking. Those require a lot of heat. Far more than our ovens can produe. And... you touched upon perhaps it's best offensive use without even knowing about it."

"Oh?"

"Fire... is fear. Amongst the people, I am not feared. People know me as a healer. They seek me out for my gentle touch, and protective embrace. But they do not fear me."

"Why should they fear you?"

"Because. Sometimes, in this world, there is violence. Sometimes even here people come and they do not bring kindness or healing. They come to take, to dominate, to destroy. Because they think us aquamancers too weak and soft to defend ourselves. But we can. With frightening accuracy and efficiency, even we can end lives. But I do not want to end lives. And that is why I study pyromancy."

"I'm not sure I understand..."

"As I said, fire is fear. If I were to conjure a globe of water around someone's head, slowly choking the life from them, people would not be as frightened as if I were to lob a ball of raging fiery inferno at their location. The act is just as lethal, but one is much better at inspiring fear than the other."

"So... fear can be a good thing?"

"It can.." P'ua shakes his head with a sad frown. "I'm sorry. I think the subject matter is too heavy for you to understand. Let's... put a pin on things for now. Once you're older and understand what I'm talking about, I will teach you fire magic. But for now... I need you to grow older and wiser. And a lot more skilled in aquamancy."

"Okay... I understand. I think." Nerassus nibbles his lips, wringing his hands thoughtfully. "So, can you instead teach me how to breathe water maybe?"

Spoiler: Sanctuary Justice
    Show
    Nerassus has been dragged by Nani to one of the lower windows of the castle. One that overlooks the courtyard outside. All the other Masters are gathered there, sitting on chairs before a human woman who has been brought before them. Her face has been covered by a hemp bag. Standing beside her is another woman, reciting strange words and phrasings to the Masters. Several other people are gathered behind her. Most look at the obscured woman in disgust. Some with pity.

"Nani..." Nerassus frowns as he leans against the window sill, a strange feeling roaring about in his heart to the point of making him feel nauseous. "I don't understand what is going on there."

"It's a trial." Nani says, her voice uncharacteristically soft. "The woman you hear speak is reciting the crimes she has been accused of. It's... good that you don't understand. The accused has hurt a lot of people. She has hurt a lot of children. Badly."

"Oh. That's bad. Why would she do that?"

"I wish I could tell you. Some people are just... cruel. They think only of themselves, caring not for who gets hurt in the process." Nani looks aside. "Usually I'd be down there as well, but I had to ask to be excused so I could be here and teach you. You need to see this if you're one day going to grow up and lead and protect the island."

"See what?" Nani just stares silently ahead. "Nani? See what?"

"Shh... they're about to render their verdict."

Nerassus looks over the Masters. All eight of them have extended their arms out before them. They look among one another, and then they all extend their thumb up, except for P'ua who extends it down. "Then it is decided." Okeyani's voice carries loud and clear all the way from the courtyard. "For your crimes against the weakest of our society, you are judged to the harshest of our punishments."

"Punishment?" Nerassus looks up at Nani curiously. "Are they going to make her go to bed without supper?"

"No. Nera. What she's done is so much worse than even your worst prank." From the window, Nera watches as Dew stands up and approaches the bound woman. His form starts to flicker with blue, ephemeral flames as he reaches out for the woman.

"Wait... what is he doing? That looks like... that looks like?! Dew? What are you doing?! Nani, what is he doing?!" Nerassus lifts himself up to begin scrabbling out the window. He's too quick and strong for Nani to stop him, and he leaps down three floors to land in the courtyard. His legs hurt, but he shakes off the pain as he staggers towards the gathered people. "Dew! Stop it!" He tries to run towards Dew, but Dew doesn't stop. In fact, P'ua rushes up to Nerassus and holds him back, keeping Nerassus from getting any closer. "P'ua. What are you doing? We have to stop Dew."

"Nera. No. I'm sorry. But there's nothing we can do now."

"What do you mean? Don't you." Nerassus's objections is stopped as a loud, piercing cry escapes the bound woman's lips. Her whole body twitches and spasms, before she flops and falls backwards, dead. Standing over her is Dew, his face dark and cold. In his hands he is clutching a flickering flame of blue. One that he places within a small crystal of magicite hanging around his neck. He turns around to look, briefly, at Nerassus. Nerassus's own eyes are wide. Shock. Betrayal. Hurt. Tears well in the corner of his eyes. Dew can't bear to maintain the look and he turns away from Nerassus. "Dew... what have you done?!"
    Last edited by Maryring; 2020-03-02 at 08:30 PM.