The Sword of Roses

"It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

Spring came early this year, which meant plentiful game awakening from their hibernation. It also meant the humanoid races of the land would be traveling their roads again to hunt, trade, and generally cause their mischief. That was what Chenizir always thought of the humanoid races; mischief. They were never content to themselves. They warred among themselves over land and resources, and generally bringing down the property values of the local forest neighborhoods.

However, there was one particular breed of humanoid that was the worst of all-- the "Adventurer". They kill, steal, and cause trouble for the right price. Or the wrong price. They were the fooling kind that traversed across the lands to delve into a dragon's lair in pursuit of riches and fame. Today was sadly another one of those days for Chenizir.

The elder blue adult dragon laid upon his hoard. Gold and silver coins scooped up and pressed against a wound on his side. The cold touch of metal eased the pain. It wasn't a serious injury, but to attack a dragon and rob them of even one copper piece was a serious injury to many a dragon's ego.

The elder dragon summoned his three children to him. He sat up and addressed them with the air of seriousness.

"My progeny, this day a group of humanoids have dared enter my lair. I fought them off, but not before they escaped with a small portion of my hoard. The coins and jewelry are of no consequence, but I wish to have retrieved four magical items they have stolen. My wound would slow me down, so I charge you three to spread across the land and locate them for me. I trust you all can prepare for this quest?"

Morlun, a midnight blue dragon of great pride, puffed out his chest. "I shall succeed at your task, father!"

Spiriah, by contrast, was willing to agree, but she wasn't sure if she should speak out of turn or not, so he erred on the side of caution and waited her turn.