Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
*May not explain the subtle but detailed plot of Bloodborne while pointing out that it's a setting where the Lovecraftian deities are the ones going through the cosmic horror experience in the face of human evil and that if you 100% the game and get the "true" ending that you're basically the bad guy when someone points to Bloodborne as an example of the plotless Monty-haul guilt-free survival horror feel they're going for with this campaign.
** May not give the power gamer a moral existential crisis.
I... would dispute that, but I haven’t actually played. I do know that while yes, much of the reason the situation is so bad is because of human evil, the Lovecraftian beings... aren’t exactly the main victims.

Spoiler: Reason
Show
The Moon Presence is the Great One behind the Hunt, and there is a theory that it pushed the Hunters into killing Kos (some say Kosm). Whether this was a bad thing is up for debate (as is a good chunk of Soulsborne lore in general), but one thing we do almost certainly know is that Mergo is responsible for making things even freakier in the second half or so of the game. Someone in a Discord server I know said Yharnam essentially had 5~6 eldritch apocalypses happening at the same time.