Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
I... would dispute that, but I haven’t actually played. I do know that while yes, much of the reason the situation is so bad is because of human evil, the Lovecraftian beings... aren’t exactly the main victims.

Spoiler: Reason
Show
The Moon Presence is the Great One behind the Hunt, and there is a theory that it pushed the Hunters into killing Kos (some say Kosm). Whether this was a bad thing is up for debate (as is a good chunk of Soulsborne lore in general), but one thing we do almost certainly know is that Mergo is responsible for making things even freakier in the second half or so of the game. Someone in a Discord server I know said Yharnam essentially had 5~6 eldritch apocalypses happening at the same time.
Spoiler
Show
The Moon Presence was just trying to clean up the mess, Hunters werren't around until the Scourge of BEasts was well underway and that was specifically the result of the Healing Church doing something that messed up the Yarnam blood. Hunters were the best way to solve the problems. The description for on of he umbilical cords implies that the Hunters are a substitute for a child of the Moon Presense.

Kos was peaceful and just wanted a child. The "Kos give us eyes" might be an indication that she tried to grant a wish that she didn't understand(examine her corpse and you see she has none) and that caused problems, but all of the problems confirmed to be related to her cause are the esult of humans wanting to study her child and the people altered by her presence. Both of whom were killed.

Odeon wanted a kid, though the fact that he impregnates women infected by himself(he basically is Yarnum blood, or rather, the Yarnum Blood is the blood of a woman he tried and failed to impregnate) whether they want it or not means he's not exactly good. Not evil, either, but not good.

Mergo needed to be killed to end the Nightmare, bu Mergo existing int ehform he did was the fault of the Healing Church and Mergo's Wetnurse was just trying to ascend humanity to Godhood one person at a time.

Ebrietus was trying to slowly acclimate humanity to the idea of the great ones and the cosmic truth of reality so that coexistence could be possible but the Healing Church's choir decided to study her and use her t argument their specific form of blood Ministry to evolve humanity into Kin, as their Church's predecessors did and basically screwed it up.

The Brain of Mensis isn't malevolent when it attacks you, it's doesn't seem to have a choice, and when you Make contact with it after freeing it from it's chains it gives you a magic rune--which is how the Great Ones communicate--that greatly improves the reward you get from killing things. Considering how sad it looks and the fact that it just lays there, one gets the feeling that it's begging you to kill it and put i out of its misery. BEcuase the implication is that it was just off on it's own until it got captured and experimented on.

Rom was originally a human who was turned into a Great One Artificially by experiments with various forms of blood and insight att he cost of completely destroying her mind (Vacuous is referring to this state of mindlessness. The Japanese version calls her retarded.) Even then, it's implied that she's instinctively holding back the worst of the madness: Everything goes to Hell when you kill her.

And the Orphan of Kos is basically the vengeful ghost of a child whose mother was murdered as it was born so that it could be taken and studied until it too died, creating a nightmare realm and dragging into it the souls of everyone responsible for or benefiting from it's mother's murder and forcing them to confront their sins and those of their predecessors.

Only the AMygdala seem to be actively attacking humans without provocation, but as far as I can tell only the specific one that you can encounter as an optional boss is confirmed to be malevolent.